Romsey’s bid for Sydenhams Premier Division survival received an almighty boost as they beat fellow strugglers Totton & Eling 2-1 at Little Testwood Farm in injury time.

Despite managers Carl Bennett and John McFarlane not being present at the match, the Bypass boys came through to keep their heads above water as they look to dodge relegation.

The home side were made to pay for a number of missed chances when a last gasp penalty from Elliot Richards condemned them to defeat.

Dean Faithful put Totton 1-0 up on 60 minutes, before Tom Barge’s volley equalised and Richards hit home the winner.

Totton, who’ve also had a torrid season in the Wessex, had the best of the first half chances through Faithful and Dougie Rowe, but neither could deliver.

The early play had all the signs of a tense relegation battle as neither side were able to assert themselves and take control, Brad Snelling pulled off a fantastic save to deny Ben Thompson’s free-kick, which looked like a cross but turned into a shot.

Snelling was on hand with a pair of reaction saves to deny Totton the lead, the busy glovesman was then called into action in the second half thwarting several efforts as his goal began to be peppered with shots. Faithfull’s goal arrived on the hour but Romsey were adamant that the shot hadn’t crossed the line and were clearly devastated to trail in such a high-pressure match.

Riled, Carl Bennett’s men got back on level terms as Barge steered a superb volley into the back of the net.

As both teams went on the hunt for the winner the Millers’ Jack Smith made a foul in the box. Richards nominated himself for spot-kick duties and duly delivered a sweetly hit shot past Kevin O’Rourke.

That victory continues a rare good run of form in which they’ve been defeated just once in six games. Next up for the rejuvenated Romsey is Hordean at the Bypass Ground on Saturday (3pm) followed by tough games against high-fliers AFC Portchester and title favourites Sholing on Tuesday and Thursday.