Fonte determined to help Saints into the record books

Daily Echo: Fonte determined to help Saints into the record books Fonte determined to help Saints into the record books

Jose Fonte believes there is a "very good thing" happening at Saints right now and is determined to help them into the record books.

This has been a fine second season back in the Barclays Premier League for Saints, whose possession football and focus on homegrown talent has brought points as well as admirers.

Saturday's deserved 2-0 defeat of top-four hopefuls Everton saw Mauricio Pochettino's side strengthen their place in eighth and equal the club's record Premier League points tally of 52.

There are suggestions that the Saints set-up could be broken up this summer but Fonte - a key member of the squad since the League One days only three years ago - is only focused on ending the season on a high.

"We always want to be the best and now we equalled the record and now we will try to beat that," the Portuguese centre-back said.

"I am pleased because it was a tough game. They are a very, very good team. They are fighting for the Champions League so we knew it would be hard but I think it was our day.

"We completely dominated the game, were better than them and showed that we have a very good thing going on here, a very strong team.

"It is pleasing to get the three points again because we knew if we won we would equal the record of points.

"Always to win at home in front of your supporters is pleasing, but most of all for ourselves because I think we deserved the win the way we have performed this year."

In truth, the 2-0 scoreline flattered under-performing Everton at St Mary's, where the match was settled by own goals from Antolin Alcaraz and Seamus Coleman.

That does, though, mean no Saints player has scored in their last three matches - a run that coincides with the anterior cruciate ligament injury to top scorer Jay Rodriguez.

"I think obviously we miss Jay Rodriguez a little bit," Fonte said. "He is our cutting edge.

"We miss Gaston Ramirez a bit as well with his final passes, he is very good on that.

"Because of that Rickie Lambert was playing as a number 10, not as a number nine so it is a little bit difficult.

"It was a little bit difficult to get shots on target but we had crosses and if you put the ball in the box then there can always be mistakes or a goal."

Those mistakes from Alcaraz and Coleman have left Everton's hopes of a top-four finish looking remote.

Arsenal now have the opportunity to move four points clear with victory over Newcastle, although manager Roberto Martinez believes the Toffees still have a chance of sneaking into the Champions League.

Everton end the season with a home clash with Manchester City and a trip to Hull - matches they are hoping left-back Leighton Baines will be available for.

Martinez is already without eight players through injury and saw the England international forced off towards the end of the defeat at St Mary's.

"We will assess Leighton Baines and see if it's a serious injury or not," the Spaniard said.

"He was feeling his knee and his calf a little bit, we will assess him but it shouldn't be too bad."

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:15pm Sun 27 Apr 14

BracknellSaint says...

Really hope Adam and MoPo were only answering the way they did as they are sick , tired and bored of being asked about their futures when they've no intention of going anywhere...
Biggest summer in our recent history..can we push on, keeping them all and adding quality? Would be utterly gutted if not...
Really hope Adam and MoPo were only answering the way they did as they are sick , tired and bored of being asked about their futures when they've no intention of going anywhere... Biggest summer in our recent history..can we push on, keeping them all and adding quality? Would be utterly gutted if not... BracknellSaint
  • Score: 17

4:52pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Rank Xerox says...

I hope the board are not too pruent in the summer as there are some areas we really need to strengthen to keep this momentum u next season.
I hope the board are not too pruent in the summer as there are some areas we really need to strengthen to keep this momentum u next season. Rank Xerox
  • Score: 3

5:43pm Sun 27 Apr 14

richard903 says...

In my humble opinion the future looks bright, saints have improved beyond all expectations, I think the players and manager are enjoying it and will stick together. Before Nicola left , Katrina had no interest in SFC at all. But after he left and she took over, I think she fell in love with saints. There is no need for her to come anymore now Kruger is in charge , but again yesterday she was there. I think she is sweet on Potty Chino. She will back us with a deep purse this summer, because she is now a saint. All the talk in the press about which club is taking which player or our manager, is because they are still thinking of us as that club who sold anything that moved . But poor Rupert is in the old folks home for retired chairmen now, thankfully, Lets all relax now and enjoy the summer, and watch Katrina at the sales
In my humble opinion the future looks bright, saints have improved beyond all expectations, I think the players and manager are enjoying it and will stick together. Before Nicola left , Katrina had no interest in SFC at all. But after he left and she took over, I think she fell in love with saints. There is no need for her to come anymore now Kruger is in charge , but again yesterday she was there. I think she is sweet on Potty Chino. She will back us with a deep purse this summer, because she is now a saint. All the talk in the press about which club is taking which player or our manager, is because they are still thinking of us as that club who sold anything that moved . But poor Rupert is in the old folks home for retired chairmen now, thankfully, Lets all relax now and enjoy the summer, and watch Katrina at the sales richard903
  • Score: 14

6:15pm Sun 27 Apr 14

only1chopper says...

I really hope we can get at least a point from the next 2 matches, cos utd last game, with moyes gone and utd scoring 4, they look like they have something to prove. this summer, well that is going to be interesting. therefore i am not going to comment. We all know who we would like to stay and to leave, who to bring in, so lets all hope we keep the important ones and let us just enjoy the world cup with as many of our players involved as poss.
I really hope we can get at least a point from the next 2 matches, cos utd last game, with moyes gone and utd scoring 4, they look like they have something to prove. this summer, well that is going to be interesting. therefore i am not going to comment. We all know who we would like to stay and to leave, who to bring in, so lets all hope we keep the important ones and let us just enjoy the world cup with as many of our players involved as poss. only1chopper
  • Score: 3

6:25pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Malcombe says...

richard903 I've always believed that Katharina has always been a Fan but doesn't like Nicola Cortese, if I was a Fly on the wall I can imagine what's been said, Katharina I'm not going to a game if I've got to sit next Nicola smelling that man's after shave and breath I can't stand him, he's going have to go, I have a business to run and he's running it thinking there's a bottomless Pit and there's more I bet, we've all been there that there's no chemistry however Jose Fonte has reiterated everyone's sentiment a fantastic game beating Everton so onwards and upwards is where the Saints are going
richard903 I've always believed that Katharina has always been a Fan but doesn't like Nicola Cortese, if I was a Fly on the wall I can imagine what's been said, Katharina I'm not going to a game if I've got to sit next Nicola smelling that man's after shave and breath I can't stand him, he's going have to go, I have a business to run and he's running it thinking there's a bottomless Pit and there's more I bet, we've all been there that there's no chemistry however Jose Fonte has reiterated everyone's sentiment a fantastic game beating Everton so onwards and upwards is where the Saints are going Malcombe
  • Score: 2

6:49pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

With respect to Swansea and Man U I think we can get that one point to make this our best ever season in the Prem. Next season, under the philosophy of continual improvement I can think we can improve more (if we keep the current management staff and the nucleus of the squad).

PS: get well soon Leighton Baines.
With respect to Swansea and Man U I think we can get that one point to make this our best ever season in the Prem. Next season, under the philosophy of continual improvement I can think we can improve more (if we keep the current management staff and the nucleus of the squad). PS: get well soon Leighton Baines. Jan28th1984
  • Score: 4

7:53pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint.

Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.
We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint. Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 6

8:19pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint.

Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.
Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall.

I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford....
[quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint. Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.[/p][/quote]Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall. I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford.... Jan28th1984
  • Score: 4

9:01pm Sun 27 Apr 14

BracknellSaint says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint.

Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.
Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall.

I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford....
It would be great if they used any windfall to pay back the charities.
Hopefully Liverpool will win, they get the cash and do the right thing, and we can gain some respect for them.
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint. Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.[/p][/quote]Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall. I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford....[/p][/quote]It would be great if they used any windfall to pay back the charities. Hopefully Liverpool will win, they get the cash and do the right thing, and we can gain some respect for them. BracknellSaint
  • Score: 5

9:10pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?
Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you? Clever Dick
  • Score: 1

9:14pm Sun 27 Apr 14

Clever Dick says...

BracknellSaint wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint.

Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.
Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall.

I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford....
It would be great if they used any windfall to pay back the charities.
Hopefully Liverpool will win, they get the cash and do the right thing, and we can gain some respect for them.
No they won't do the right thing. The best outcome would be for them to lose out on it in the twelfth minute of extra time to a disputed penalty against Liverpool given by our favourite referee Clutter brain.
[quote][p][bold]BracknellSaint[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Seedhouse the Unrepentant[/bold] wrote: We certainly are on the cusp of great things. A fantastic time to be a Saint. Awesome win by Chelsea, Mourinho certain psyched Liverpool out of that one with his 'board permission to field an under strength team'. Man City did what was necessary. If Liverpool win the title apparently the skates get an extra £1m on the Glen Johnson deal and that would be a travesty of the highest order.[/p][/quote]Skunts are crying because they might lose out on their windfall. I wouldn't object to them getting the one mil if it were distributed fairly amongst those who deserve it most, ie the small local businesses and the cancer charities the skunts stole from, but as we all know normal financial rules do not apply to them, they will spend the cash on players they cant afford....[/p][/quote]It would be great if they used any windfall to pay back the charities. Hopefully Liverpool will win, they get the cash and do the right thing, and we can gain some respect for them.[/p][/quote]No they won't do the right thing. The best outcome would be for them to lose out on it in the twelfth minute of extra time to a disputed penalty against Liverpool given by our favourite referee Clutter brain. Clever Dick
  • Score: 3

10:36pm Sun 27 Apr 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Clever Dick wrote:
Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?
Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.
[quote][p][bold]Clever Dick[/bold] wrote: Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?[/p][/quote]Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 1

12:27am Mon 28 Apr 14

Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Clever Dick wrote:
Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?
Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.
Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Clever Dick[/bold] wrote: Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?[/p][/quote]Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.[/p][/quote]Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident. Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child
  • Score: 1

12:30am Mon 28 Apr 14

Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child says...

Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Clever Dick wrote:
Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?
Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.
Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident.
Actually, maybe Baines realised he had been outshone by an 18 year old Luke and faked an injury to save face :)
[quote][p][bold]Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Clever Dick[/bold] wrote: Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?[/p][/quote]Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.[/p][/quote]Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident.[/p][/quote]Actually, maybe Baines realised he had been outshone by an 18 year old Luke and faked an injury to save face :) Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child
  • Score: 3

12:46am Mon 28 Apr 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Clever Dick wrote:
Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?
Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.
Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident.
Yes, it was Sam G, just seen it on the OS highlights, just a bog standard challenge, no malice at all, both our Penalty shouts were genuine, as was the Lovren slider, but I think the referee bottled that one and used the card as a get out clause, if it wasn't a Penalty it certainly wasn't a dive.
[quote][p][bold]Cpt. Kirk's illegitimate love child[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Clever Dick[/bold] wrote: Come on all you Saints players. Own up. Who was it that kicked Baines ? If you'd kicked him just a little harder our Luke would be a certainty. Luke was it you?[/p][/quote]Prime suspect is Big Sam G, haven't had chance to see any footage as it wasn't on Sky choice. MoD was just a waste of space.[/p][/quote]Sam trod on him towards the end. Not deliberate. He went in with a good challenge and Baines went down. Sam trod on Baines's shin. Total accident.[/p][/quote]Yes, it was Sam G, just seen it on the OS highlights, just a bog standard challenge, no malice at all, both our Penalty shouts were genuine, as was the Lovren slider, but I think the referee bottled that one and used the card as a get out clause, if it wasn't a Penalty it certainly wasn't a dive. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 2

9:17am Mon 28 Apr 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Unfortunately Les Reed's statement was not quite categorical enough and has left room for the media to continue their potentially damaging stores.
I am sure that Katharina has not appointed Ralph and the rest of the board to just sit and stabilise Saints as a mid-table team when we are possibly only three/four good signings from being a Champions league contender next season.
There is a very good unity in the whole squad that was there for all to see on Saturday which would be madness to break up.
The best way to finish the media speculation is to sign up our targets as soon as the transfer window opens. So come on Les, Ralph lets put out a statement of intent quickly with these signings and reiterate again that 'no star players are for sale' as this would settle the other players down.
Also I see no reason why the manager situation cannot be sorted now because it is a must to sign these BEFORE the World Cup and new players will want to know who the manager will be.
Come on Ralph, Les etc the time for action is now.
Unfortunately Les Reed's statement was not quite categorical enough and has left room for the media to continue their potentially damaging stores. I am sure that Katharina has not appointed Ralph and the rest of the board to just sit and stabilise Saints as a mid-table team when we are possibly only three/four good signings from being a Champions league contender next season. There is a very good unity in the whole squad that was there for all to see on Saturday which would be madness to break up. The best way to finish the media speculation is to sign up our targets as soon as the transfer window opens. So come on Les, Ralph lets put out a statement of intent quickly with these signings and reiterate again that 'no star players are for sale' as this would settle the other players down. Also I see no reason why the manager situation cannot be sorted now because it is a must to sign these BEFORE the World Cup and new players will want to know who the manager will be. Come on Ralph, Les etc the time for action is now. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree