Fawley AFC manager Colin Lane resigned from his post at the Oilers helm after steering them clear of the relegation zone in their last game of the season.

The Waterside club scored a 92 minute penalty through Matt Vining to avoid the drop from the Sydenhams Premier Division with a 1-0 victory over Fareham Town.

But, despite the happy ending to the campaign, Lane has now announced that his time at the club is now over.

The boss, who’s been in charge for three seasons at Fawley, has made the decision to leave the club and is planning a fresh start elsewhere.

“I hope to be at a different club next season, I’m just waiting to see where a job comes available,” said Lane. “I appreciate everything that Fawley have done for me, they could have easily sacked me back in November but they kept faith and we’ve stayed in the Wessex.

“I’m keen to stay in football and the Wessex Premier, but at the moment I’m glad I’ve been able to bow out on a real high.”

The former AFC Totton reserves boss was immensely proud of his team’s drive that kept them in the division.

“It’s been a difficult and frustrating season, it’s been a bit of a nightmare at times but I’m just pleased for the lads and proud that they’ve kept the club in the league,” he said. After Fareham missed a penalty after 30 minutes, the Oilers rode their luck and a handball in the box saw the referee point to the spot.

Vining slotted away calmly to seal the win in what was pretty much the last touch of the game and take his team to 30 points for the season, four above relegated side Downton.

“I had my last rant at them at half-time, I wanted to gee them up and get them through the game and finish the season as a Wessex Premier team,” he said.

That result marked the end of Lane’s rein at the Waterside Stadium.

In his first season, in similar style to this term, he helped them avoid relegation by two points and in his most successful campaign he took the club to 41 points.

The club will now look for a new manager.