Has Hodgson made his mind up on World Cup squad already?

Daily Echo: Roy Hodgson Roy Hodgson

ADAM Lallana, Luke Shaw and Rickie Lambert are NOT playing for a place in the England World Cup squad in the last two games of the season.

That’s because England manager Roy Hodgson has made it clear that players’ form over the last few matches will not affect his World Cup selection plans.

Hodgson will make his decision based over the last few months or even years and that the last few weeks of the season is a “notoriously bad” time to judge players.

The England boss is due to announce his squad in a couple of weeks' time and said: “Nothing that happens in the last four games, in terms of form, is going to affect me.

“I don't judge players on their last-minute form over two or three games. I'm judging them over two years. Or, in particular, if anyone new on the scene has emerged I'm judging him over several months.

“I'm not going to make decisions in the last week or two of the season, which is a notoriously bad time to judge talent.

“As a (club) manager I was never keen on making strong judgements on players, either to buy them or to sell them or to retain them in the last two or three weeks of the season.

“I wanted to make my decision around the November-to-early-March time because that’s where things are really done.

“You don’t become a good player over two games or a bad player over two games.”

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:35pm Tue 29 Apr 14

StPerryGroves says...

There's something very Lady Gaga about Roy's hair colour in that pic - but what do I know about fashion?
There's something very Lady Gaga about Roy's hair colour in that pic - but what do I know about fashion? StPerryGroves
  • Score: 3

5:03pm Tue 29 Apr 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

He will have a fairly solid idea of who he wants to take, but there are a number of injuries in the squad so he is hardly in any position to finalise anything yet, another pointless effort from the DE I am afraid.
He will have a fairly solid idea of who he wants to take, but there are a number of injuries in the squad so he is hardly in any position to finalise anything yet, another pointless effort from the DE I am afraid. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 1

5:17pm Tue 29 Apr 14

Jesus_02 says...

What he is saying that when he selects Clyne its not because of how he played against Everton, its more about how he has been over the season.
What he is saying that when he selects Clyne its not because of how he played against Everton, its more about how he has been over the season. Jesus_02
  • Score: 9

5:55pm Tue 29 Apr 14

richard903 says...

I think Roys comments are aimed at the people pushing conner wickham because he scored at the weekend. Our players are defo going, Roy was at st marys saturday to gloat over how talented our players are and how clever he is to have picked them. Up the saints
I think Roys comments are aimed at the people pushing conner wickham because he scored at the weekend. Our players are defo going, Roy was at st marys saturday to gloat over how talented our players are and how clever he is to have picked them. Up the saints richard903
  • Score: 9

7:28pm Tue 29 Apr 14

NC Fan4Life says...

I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out.
More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up.
The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens.
Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.
I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out. More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up. The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens. Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 7

9:10pm Tue 29 Apr 14

bullsbags says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out.
More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up.
The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens.
Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.
We won't be in the champions league next year
Following year maybe
As you say,main thing is getting the existing players to stay
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out. More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up. The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens. Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.[/p][/quote]We won't be in the champions league next year Following year maybe As you say,main thing is getting the existing players to stay bullsbags
  • Score: -1

6:48am Wed 30 Apr 14

Rising_Son says...

bullsbags wrote:
NC Fan4Life wrote:
I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out.
More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up.
The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens.
Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.
We won't be in the champions league next year
Following year maybe
As you say,main thing is getting the existing players to stay
If we're not in the Champions League next year, the main thing, it appears, during next year's transfer window will be to get the existing players to stay. Just like this year! I say go for it!
[quote][p][bold]bullsbags[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out. More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up. The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens. Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.[/p][/quote]We won't be in the champions league next year Following year maybe As you say,main thing is getting the existing players to stay[/p][/quote]If we're not in the Champions League next year, the main thing, it appears, during next year's transfer window will be to get the existing players to stay. Just like this year! I say go for it! Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

8:36am Wed 30 Apr 14

saint gee says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out.
More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up.
The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens.
Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.
when does the transfer window open exactly?
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: I would expect all three to go but Cline missing out. More importantly is for Saints to keep them, but if by some crazy decision they are to be sold then only do so after the World Cup when their value will have gone up. The new Board have settled in so it is time for them to make a statement of intent. Sign the manager now to settle the players down and get a couple of the transfer targets set up to sign as soon as the window opens. Get the existing players to stay and add the three or four good ones that will make us Champions League Contenders next season.[/p][/quote]when does the transfer window open exactly? saint gee
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Wed 30 Apr 14

SaintJD says...

I'm interested to see what Roy will do with some of the marginal players who aren't going to be fit for the end of the season: the Ox and Wilshere in particular.

Personally, I don't think Jack has done anything to earn a place in the squad based on recent form, plus his fitness is questionable. It would be controversial, but I'd leave him at home.

The Ox also has a question mark over him form wise in my opinion, but then half the England players hardly get a game anyway: Townsend, Milner, Wellbeck. It's not looking good.

The decision on Cole or Luke is ever more interesting though, unfortunately, because Cole is getting game time and looking OK against top opposition (at least when the focus is on rigid defence and never getting forward). I'd suggest that will, unfortunately, make up Roy's mind for him, because he has a rampaging left back already. So I think it will be Cole this tournament, with Luke set to leapfrog both other options over the space of the next two years.
I'm interested to see what Roy will do with some of the marginal players who aren't going to be fit for the end of the season: the Ox and Wilshere in particular. Personally, I don't think Jack has done anything to earn a place in the squad based on recent form, plus his fitness is questionable. It would be controversial, but I'd leave him at home. The Ox also has a question mark over him form wise in my opinion, but then half the England players hardly get a game anyway: Townsend, Milner, Wellbeck. It's not looking good. The decision on Cole or Luke is ever more interesting though, unfortunately, because Cole is getting game time and looking OK against top opposition (at least when the focus is on rigid defence and never getting forward). I'd suggest that will, unfortunately, make up Roy's mind for him, because he has a rampaging left back already. So I think it will be Cole this tournament, with Luke set to leapfrog both other options over the space of the next two years. SaintJD
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree