Want away centre half Dejan Lovren is expected back for pre-season training on Sunday.
Saints boss Ronald Koeman was clearly unimpressed by the Croatian defender’s decision to go public on his desire to leave St Mary’s with Liverpool keen to sign him this summer.
There have been threats that Lovren may fail to report back to Saints as he tries to force through a move, having accused the club of effectively reneging on a gentleman’s agreement that would have seen his move to Anfield already completed.
When asked for the latest on Lovren, Koeman said: “I don’t know. I spoke to Les Reed and I spoke two times to Dejan and he was very clear about his situation.
- Le Tissier hails Koeman
- Osvaldo wants to stay at Inter
- Fonte: I'm ready for international call-up
- Saints loanee Bertrand accuses Chelsea of lack of 'honesty' towards him
- COMMENT: The 'e' word raises it head at Saints again
- Another take on St Mary's expansion
- Saints picture archive: Skipper Kevin Keegan before the UEFA Cup tie with Sporting Lisbon, October 1981
- Fonte on Portugal pre-list
“I said I am the new manager and I’d like to keep all the players and Dejan is an important player in an important position.
“We have to do and Les Reed has to do what is the best for the club.
“He has a contract, he has to come back this Sunday but I don’t know what will happen after this.
“It’s football, there a lot of movements, but first of all we like to keep all that information in the club and not the press and that was not good on his side.”