Ex-Saints striker and Accrington Stanley manager James Beattie has extended Sholing hot-shot Lee Wort’s trial for another week.
The 22-year-old ace, who scored more than 50 goals as the Boatmen won the FA Vase and the Sydenhams Premier Division last season, has been at the Lancashire club where the former St Mary’s frontman has been getting a better look at him after tracking his progress for some time.
Wort made a late fleeting appearance in Stanley’s 2-0 win over Chorley in their final pre-season match and also came off the bench for a 20 minute cameo in the 1-0 defeat to Premier League Burnley.
“I spoke to Beattie after the last pre-season game (Chorley) on Friday,” said Wort.
“He has said that he wants me to stay up here training with them for another week.
“Then he’s going to make a decision on my future.”
Stanley kick-off their League Two campaign on Saturday (August 9) when they welcome Southend United to the Crown Ground.
Wort told the Silverlake Arena side earlier in the summer that he was keen on a move away if the right offer came his way, as he eyes a professional career. He arrived on trial on July 24.
Rumours are rife that, if he fails to win a contract at Stanley, there are several clubs ready to pounce for his services, including Southern Premier League Poole Town.