WESSEX League title favourites Winchester City slumped to a shock 3-2 home loss today to newly promoted Petersfield Town.

Leading by an 11th-minute Mike McEnery goal at the break, City succumbed to a Brad Miles leveller two minutes into the second half before reclaiming the lead with a 54th-minute own goal. As a cross came in from the right, Winchester striker Warren Bentley rose to meet it and it went in off rookie centre-half Ed Dryden.

But the 17-year-old defender atoned by heading home a corner to level after 69 minutes and it was Petersfield skipper Alex Ward who sealed victory eight minutes from time, meeting a curled free kick with a powerful header.

Petersfield chairman Graeme Moir said: “The team played at a top level today and, as our manager Ian Saunders said afterwards, you have to play at that level to beat a side like Winchester.

“One or two of us were hoping we’d go there and win, but we weren’t putting too much money on it!”

Folland Sports were disappointingly beaten 2-0 at home by Lymington Town.

After a goalless first half, Lymington stunned the Planemakers with two carbon-copy goals.

Brad Strickland made the first, crossing from the right for Warren Kenna to slot home at the back stick, and then Strickland netted the second himself at the opposite post from Ben Sullivan’s delivery.

“We had players out again today and only had one fit on the bench,” said Lymington boss John Pyatt.

“Carlo Tate played the whole game at 42 years of age and was probably man-of-the-match playing a holding role in front of the back four.”

Lymington have taken bright, young striker Tony Lee on a season-long loan from Eastleigh but he picked up an injury against Christchurch last Friday. 

Lee, along with Jack Smith and Harrison Weekes, were rewarded with permanent Spitfires deals during the summer.

Kieran Palmer got Fawley AFC’s goal in a 2-1 defeat at Whitchurch United, leaving the Oilers second to bottom.

Dan Munday and Jordan Fisk bagged doubles as Verwood Town edged at seven-goal thriller 4-3 at Bemerton, while Marcus Cullen’s brace secured a 2-2 draw for Christchurch at AFC Portchester (Craig Hardy, Andy Rinomhota).