Report this comment
  • "
    Baddesley Bill wrote:
    rob the saint in NZ wrote:

    Went to bed at 3am, drunk but SO happy!!

    Been up a few hours, reading all the comments & watching the jubilant scenes at SMS again & again.

    I am just so proud, happy, overwhelmed, ecstatic, relieved, emotional, etc, etc, etc...

    So many different feelings wizzing around; wish I could have been there, but just so glad we did it & I could see it live via the internet last night!

    Thankyou Saints for making so many people so happy!

    Thankyou Markus. was immense. Let me rephrase was IMMENSE.
    The funny thing is though, is that you guys who follow the club from all corners of the earth make the day even better.
    Love you guys...NZ, Aus, Japan, USA, France, Switzerland, Norway...and every other country that saints frequent...I'm a little tipsy...but I fookin love you all!!!!!!! COYR!!!!! :O)
    Love you too BBill (in a manly, back-slapping way of course) & all the Saints fan worldwide, wherever you may be!

    I shall be wearing my Saints shirt all day of course. In fact, I have been wearing my collection of Saints shirts through the ages all week, so last night I was down to my last clean shirt, which was the one we were relegated to the Championship in, from 2005, so I guess there is some strange symmetry there!


    (Sounds good doesn't it?)

    Rephrase that - it sounds fcuking BRILLIANT!!!!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.

  • Enter the above word in the box below

Saints fans celebrate on an emotional day

Saints fans celebrate on an emotional day

Saints fans celebrate on an emotional day

First published in Sport Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Sports Reporter

“We are Southampton, we’re Premier League.”

It has taken seven years, but finally the Saints faithful are singing it again.

The cry echoed out proudly from St Mary’s today and penetrated deep into the city, as the club celebrated an incredible and emotional return to the top flight.

Thousands poured onto the pitch at the end of the 4-0 demolition of Coventry, hoisting the players onto their shoulders.

It was a display of pure, unbridled joy, as every section of the club came, to put it in manager Nigel Adkins’ words, together as one.

It was all in such stark contrast to the scenes on the final day of the 2004/05 season, when Manchester United played the role of executioner to Saints’ Premier League life.

“We’ll be back” the fans had defiantly cried after that numbing day.

It has taken longer than most could ever have imagined, but at last the prophecy has been fulfilled.

So much has transpired since that depressing afternoon – administration, a second relegation to League One, a ten-point deduction, and numerous managerial changes.

It has been a long and, at times, incredibly painful road.

But as the fans clambered down from the stands and lifted their heroes up in celebration, it was as if many of those miserable memories were being completely washed away.

Related links

Within seconds of the final whistle, the pitch was completely flooded with supporters.

They mobbed the players, they danced, they hugged, and they kissed the turf.

It was a glorious end to such a fantastic season.

The scenes were remarkable, as the realisation dawned that Saints are back in the big time.

Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool – that is the company the club will now be keeping.

Even Adkins could hardly believe it. Normally never lost for words, he could hardly speak in the minutes after the final whistle and had to choke back tears in the tunnel.

Eventually, the players fought their way through the crowds and back into the dressing room.

They sprayed champagne, they embraced each other and they sang together.

The enormity of their achievement – winning back-to-back promotions to take them from the third tier into the top flight – almost cannot be understated.

The celebrations continued as they made their way up to the directors’ box, with Adkins, chairman Nicola Cortese, the backroom staff, and the players all saluting the crowd.

Promotions have been so rare in the history of Southampton Football Club – and these moments will be treasured by those lucky enough to have been inside St Mary’s.

The only sad note was that the man who had made it all possible, Markus Liebherr, was not there to witness the iconic moment.

This was the day he had bought the club for, and the late owner’s beaming smile should have graced this occasion. It would have lit up the day even more.

But his legacy still burns bright and, fittingly, he was not forgotten.

Liebherr’s name was chanted throughout the match, and it boomed out from the enormous sea of fans on the pitch after the game.

It was a poignant and heartfelt display of affection from the supporters.

Although there had been the potential for tension and nerves, the overwhelming atmosphere before the game had been one of excitement.

Supporters knew the club stood on the brink of the top flight. There was no doom mongering, simply an air of expectancy.

And the players delivered in style.

The ground erupted when Adam Lallana’s volley deflected off Billy Sharp and found the net to put Saints in front.

Any concern that had existed immediately disappeared.

And when Jose Fonte headed a second moments later, the party really began.

Saints weren’t going to let it slip from that point, and the fans knew it. They belted out chant after chant and bounced up and down in celebration.

By the time the second half started, it was clear that the club were only heading in one direction.

Jos Hooiveld’s goal and a deserved strike for the mesmerising Lallana served as the icing and the cherry on the most delicious of cakes.

The announcement that a record crowd of 32,363 had piled into the stadium brought a huge cheer.

The only boos that rang out came when the most pointless announcement of the season was relayed over the tannoy.

“Please remain in your seats at the final whistle,” the voice pleaded. No chance.

Minutes before the end, the fans were already piling down the steps to the advertising boards.

As soon as the whistle was lifted to referee Anthony Taylor’s mouth, the invasion began.

It was a magnificent moment, and one that will live long in the memory of all who were part of it.

Saints are back in the big time…

Comments (114)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree