When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Rangers' withdrawl from Markus Liebherr Memorial Trophy not their decision
11:50am Thursday 28th June 2012 in Sport
RANGERS have confirmed that it was not their decision to be removed from the Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup.
Saints announced on Tuesday night that Anderlecht were replacing the troubled Scottish giants in the three-team pre-season tournament, which also features Arsenal.
A statement released by Rangers yesterday said: “Southampton informed us last night (Tuesday) they could no longer offer us a place at the tournament.
“A statement on their website then revealed Anderlecht were replacing us.”
Saints had said the reason for the change in teams was “due to the well-publicised circumstances surrounding the Scottish side.”
They also added that the decision had “not been made lightly”
and was “reached with the integrity of the competition in mind.”
Rangers, who have reformed as a ‘newco’ following the liquidation of the original company earlier this month, are set to be kicked out of the Scottish Premier League.
They have also seen a number of key first-team players attempt to walk away from the club by objecting to their contracts being transferred.
Only a few days ago, though, Rangers had been privately indicating they did not expect the issues at the club to have any effect on their participation in the Memorial Cup.