When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Southampton FC striker Guly do Prado apologises after drink drive charge
7:20am Wednesday 29th August 2012 in Sport
SAINTS star Guly do Prado has issued an apology after he was charged with drink driving.
He was subsequently arrested and charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol.
Posting a statement via Twitter, the 30-year-old said he wanted to give his account of what happened and issued an apology to Southampton Football Club and its fans for the incident that he described as “an accident”.
He said: “I wanted to apologise about what happened, especially for the club and the supporters of Southampton.”
He said he had been out celebrating with friends when he was pulled over while at the wheel of his Porsche Panamera, that can cost up to £122,000.
Do Prado added: “We players are very exposed and we have to be more careful in this kind of situation, controlling every step when we enter public life.”
He went on to tell supporters: “I know that this year is very important for me to Southampton and certainly the most important year of my career.
“I will dedicate myself to the maximum for the club during practice and games to help Southampton achieve your goals this year.”
He said that contrary to witness reports he had not been handcuffed as he was led away by police officers after he was stopped just after 4.30am on Monday.
The player did not feature in Nigel Adkins ’ team that beat Stevenage in last night’s Capital One Cup clash.
Last month do Prado signed a one-year extension to his contract at the club that will see him stay with Saints until summer 2014.
Do Prado has made 87 appearances and scored 22 goals for Southampton since joining the club in August 2010 from Italian side Cesena.
He has been released on bail and is due to appear at Southampton Magistrates’ Court in September.