When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Del Piero confirms Sydney move
12:04pm Wednesday 5th September 2012 in Sport
Alessandro Del Piero has confirmed his move to Australian club Sydney FC this lunchtime, despite interest from Saints and Liverpool.
The 37-year-old former Juventus striker told a press conference in Turin that he has joined the A-League side.
"It is a special day for me. I am happy to announce that I have signed the agreement with Sydney for the next two years," said the World Cup winner.
Del Piero's move to Sydney hit the headlines last week, however, completion of the deal was delayed after Saints and Liverpool made late offers.
In addition to those two clubs, Sydney also have reportedly also fended off interest from Champions League clubs Celtic and Braga as well as Swiss side Sion.
"This signing is a major coup for Sydney FC and marks a historic day for football in this country," said chairman Scott Barlow.
"Alessandro Del Piero is a global icon of the game and we are honoured he has chosen Sydney FC, ahead of many other options, as the club where he will begin the next chapter of his illustrious football career."
Del Piero, who turns 38 in November, made 91 appearances for Italy and is the all-time leading goalscorer for Juventus.
He joins a list of former stars to have joined the A-League late into their career that includes the likes of Robbie Fowler, Romario, Juninho and Dwight Yorke.