Hants defeat ends promotion chance

JIMMY ADAMS and DAVID GRIFFITHS (Neil Marshall)

JIMMY ADAMS and DAVID GRIFFITHS (Neil Marshall)

First published in Sport

Hampshire will be in the LV County Championship's second division again next year after losing their penultimate game of the season by 122 runs against Essex today.

Needing an unlikely 425 for the win that would have kept alive their chances of an immediate return to the first division going into next week's final game at Derby, Hampshire were bowled out for 302.

Jimmy Adams (139no; 247 balls, 19 fours, one six) led from the front and carried his bat for the first time when David Griffiths (21) played on, having put on 62 with his captain.

But Adams did not get the support he needed from his top order after Liam Dawson was caught and bowled in the penulitmate over of the morning for a fluent 90, having helped put on160 in 42 overs.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:39pm Fri 7 Sep 12

Puddletown Saint says...

Dear Hampshire CC

Lets take stock We must now build for the future

Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir

Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited.

Here is to 2013

Adams
Carbs
Vince
Overseas Batsman
Daws
Slug
Master
Woody
Bals
Danny
Griff

Good luck next week
Dear Hampshire CC Lets take stock We must now build for the future Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited. Here is to 2013 Adams Carbs Vince Overseas Batsman Daws Slug Master Woody Bals Danny Griff Good luck next week Puddletown Saint
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Sat 8 Sep 12

skin2000 says...

Puddletown Saint wrote:
Dear Hampshire CC

Lets take stock We must now build for the future

Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir

Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited.

Here is to 2013

Adams
Carbs
Vince
Overseas Batsman
Daws
Slug
Master
Woody
Bals
Danny
Griff

Good luck next week
You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet.
[quote][p][bold]Puddletown Saint[/bold] wrote: Dear Hampshire CC Lets take stock We must now build for the future Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited. Here is to 2013 Adams Carbs Vince Overseas Batsman Daws Slug Master Woody Bals Danny Griff Good luck next week[/p][/quote]You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet. skin2000
  • Score: 0

3:38pm Sat 8 Sep 12

The Wickham Man says...

skin2000 wrote:
Puddletown Saint wrote:
Dear Hampshire CC

Lets take stock We must now build for the future

Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir

Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited.

Here is to 2013

Adams
Carbs
Vince
Overseas Batsman
Daws
Slug
Master
Woody
Bals
Danny
Griff

Good luck next week
You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet.
Yes I think the sentiment is spot on. I get a lot of pleasure from watching the young academy players doing well. When some fading star is flown in for one season it just feels like the Harlem Globetrotters, but watching an attack of Tomlinson, Balcombe, Wood and Briggs performing well really means something to a Hampshire fan. As for Jimmy Adams, he should get a call to pack for a tour this winter.
[quote][p][bold]skin2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Puddletown Saint[/bold] wrote: Dear Hampshire CC Lets take stock We must now build for the future Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited. Here is to 2013 Adams Carbs Vince Overseas Batsman Daws Slug Master Woody Bals Danny Griff Good luck next week[/p][/quote]You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet.[/p][/quote]Yes I think the sentiment is spot on. I get a lot of pleasure from watching the young academy players doing well. When some fading star is flown in for one season it just feels like the Harlem Globetrotters, but watching an attack of Tomlinson, Balcombe, Wood and Briggs performing well really means something to a Hampshire fan. As for Jimmy Adams, he should get a call to pack for a tour this winter. The Wickham Man
  • Score: 0

6:19pm Sat 8 Sep 12

Puddletown Saint says...

The Wickham Man wrote:
skin2000 wrote:
Puddletown Saint wrote:
Dear Hampshire CC

Lets take stock We must now build for the future

Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir

Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited.

Here is to 2013

Adams
Carbs
Vince
Overseas Batsman
Daws
Slug
Master
Woody
Bals
Danny
Griff

Good luck next week
You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet.
Yes I think the sentiment is spot on. I get a lot of pleasure from watching the young academy players doing well. When some fading star is flown in for one season it just feels like the Harlem Globetrotters, but watching an attack of Tomlinson, Balcombe, Wood and Briggs performing well really means something to a Hampshire fan. As for Jimmy Adams, he should get a call to pack for a tour this winter.
Great call on Jimmy but i fear that Hants are still an unfashionable county

Team must be built around James Liam Danny and Chris

Do we have many more in the pipe line
[quote][p][bold]The Wickham Man[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]skin2000[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Puddletown Saint[/bold] wrote: Dear Hampshire CC Lets take stock We must now build for the future Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited. Here is to 2013 Adams Carbs Vince Overseas Batsman Daws Slug Master Woody Bals Danny Griff Good luck next week[/p][/quote]You are wrong about Dimi, he has got a couple of years left in him yet.[/p][/quote]Yes I think the sentiment is spot on. I get a lot of pleasure from watching the young academy players doing well. When some fading star is flown in for one season it just feels like the Harlem Globetrotters, but watching an attack of Tomlinson, Balcombe, Wood and Briggs performing well really means something to a Hampshire fan. As for Jimmy Adams, he should get a call to pack for a tour this winter.[/p][/quote]Great call on Jimmy but i fear that Hants are still an unfashionable county Team must be built around James Liam Danny and Chris Do we have many more in the pipe line Puddletown Saint
  • Score: 0

2:05pm Sun 9 Sep 12

Red_Rock says...

Puddletown Saint wrote:
Dear Hampshire CC

Lets take stock We must now build for the future

Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir

Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited.

Here is to 2013

Adams
Carbs
Vince
Overseas Batsman
Daws
Slug
Master
Woody
Bals
Danny
Griff

Good luck next week
"Master" Bates? Oh, I see, the old masturbation joke. How funny you are. Will you still think it is funny when you reach your 10th birthday?
[quote][p][bold]Puddletown Saint[/bold] wrote: Dear Hampshire CC Lets take stock We must now build for the future Time to say thank you and good bye to Simon Neil Dimi and Kabir Danny Woody JV and Hamza must all step up and a good young English batsman recruited. Here is to 2013 Adams Carbs Vince Overseas Batsman Daws Slug Master Woody Bals Danny Griff Good luck next week[/p][/quote]"Master" Bates? Oh, I see, the old masturbation joke. How funny you are. Will you still think it is funny when you reach your 10th birthday? Red_Rock
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree