FRUSTRATION was the overriding emotion as Eastleigh failed to impose themselves on ten-man Aldershot Town at the Silverlake Stadium this afternoon.

Despite having young debutant Kodi Lyons-Foster sent off on 36 minutes, the Shots mustered two of the game’s best chances before it petered out into a 0-0 National League stalemate – the Spitfires’ second draw of an uncomfortably warm bank holiday weekend.

Although most of the initial action was condensed inside Aldershot’s half, the visitors engineered a breakaway chance on 11 minutes with Shamir Fenelon firing over from 12 yards.

Bobby-Joe Taylor picked up a cheap booking for diving as he tried to buy a foul off giant Eastleigh right-back Ayo Obileye, but the Shots' wideman was proving a good outlet for the visitors and, from one dangerous delivery, Spitfires’ targetman Craig McAllister got back to block out Callum Reynolds inside his own box.

Having absorbed that pressure, Sam Matthews swiftly broke for the Spitfires and, as support arrived, Ben Williamson found Mark Yeates whose header was easy claimed by ’keeper Jake Cole.

Neither side had seriously worked the keeper, but there were signs of promise for Eastleigh on 26 minutes when, after a comedy slip-up by the corner flag, Yeates’ out-swinger was headed into the danger zone by centre-back Andrew Boyce, just out of reach of Williamson and McAllister.

As expected, Aldershot were playing some pleasing football, but it was another side of their game that got them into trouble on 36 minutes when referee Chris O’Donnell reached straight for his red card after Lyons-Foster had caught Sam Wood with a high, late tackle.

The ten men continued to push, however, and Eastleigh had to scramble the ball clear after ‘keeper Ross Flitney had missed his punch on Nick Arnold’s delivery.

The Spitfires’ most clear-cut opening arrived in stoppage time when Yeates teed up McAllister who seemed to lose his bearings and headed harmlessly wide.

Eastleigh regrouped for the second half without injured top scorer Williamson, bringing fit-again Reda Johnson into a back three and pushing the full-backs on, but it was the Shots who asked the early questions with Taylor firing narrowly wide.

Having already lost Emmanuel Oyeleke injured, the visitors were dealt another blow when Arnold was stretchered off in a stop-start contest which then saw Spitfires’ skipper Sam Togwell take his leave after treatment and Chris Zebroski come on.

As a bitty battle continued, Eastleigh boss Richard Hill made his feelings crystal clear with his side yet to muster a serious chance against the ten men.

But it was Aldershot who so nearly seized the lead twice in a matter of seconds with 82 minutes gone.

First Flitney heroically kept out James Rowe’s low strike and, with the Spitfires still catching their breath, Taylor hit the foot of the post.

As Eastleigh were finally jolted into action, Matthews played in Zebroski on the right and, with McAllister going in with 'keeper Cole, the ball just wouldn’t break for them as Aldershot got bodies in to clear. 

That trio threatened again as the game ticked into eight minutes of stoppage time, but McAllister slipped his shot wide of the near upright after more good work by Zebroski.

Asked about his emotions afterwards, Eastleigh boss Richard Hill said: “Unbelievably frustrated.

"It’s always difficult against ten men but the tempo and urgency just wasn’t there today.

"You’ve got to make the advantage count, but the quality of passing wasn’t good enough.”

Next up for the Spitfires is a trip to Ebbsfleet United on Saturday.

Eastleigh: Ross Flitney, Ayo Obileye (Danny Hollands, 85), Michael Green, Sam Togwell (Chris Zebrsoki, 71), Andrew Boyce, Callum Howe, Sam Wood, Sam Matthews, Ben Williamson (Reda Johnson, 46), Craig McAllister, Mark Yeates. Subs: James Constable, Cavaghn Miley.

Referee: Christopher O’Donnell.

Attendance: 2,525 (542 from Aldershot).