PROMOTED Sydenhams champions Winchester City continue to make the running in the Evo-Stik Southern One South & West following Saturday’s excellent 4-1 victory at Clevedon Town.

Guy Butters’ men fell behind on 24 minutes at the Hand Stadium when Adam Mahdi set up Joe Flurry for a right-foot finish.

But it took City just three minutes to level when Michael Charles was brought down in the area and got up to sink the penalty.

Winchester then conceded a spot kick themselves when TJ McClory-Cuthbertson pulled back Rico Best, but Rory Anderson dived the right way and saved Mahdi’s effort with his legs.

But there was no messing from Winchester in the second half as they destroyed Clevedon with three goals in a powerful ten-minute spell just after the hour.

Ex-AFC Totton and Sholing utility man Danny Cox set up two of them – first playing in Charles to beat the oncoming keeper and then threading the ball through for Andrew White who coolly made it 3-1 on his 21st birthday.

Two minutes later ex-Saint Tom Dunford completed the demolition job, firing home from a McClory-Cuthbertson cross.

“I’m ecstatic with that. It was a great result against a good team. Things are looking good for us for sure,” smiled City owner Paul McCarthy.

“Their goal was from a slight defensive mistake on our part, but we dominated the game and Michael Charles could have scored five.

“Danny Cox did well. He works hard and can play in many positions. He’s got a great left foot.”

Manager Butters, who leads his troops into home action against Abingdon United tomorrow (Tuesday, 7.30pm), added: “It’s the first time we’ve been on a long away trip and we left our legs on the coach in the first half.

“But in the second half, we showed class all over the pitch. We’ve hit the ground running from last year.”

Winchester head the table on goal difference from Poole Town, who avenged their 5-0 FA Cup drubbing at Yate Town with a 3-1 win at Lodge Road, courtesy of Mike Walker and two-goal new signing Steve Brown from Alton Town.