When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Blackburn target former Pompey boss
2:30pm Thursday 10th January 2013 in Premier League
Blackburn managing director Derek Shaw claims discussions to secure Blackpool's Michael Appleton as the npower Championship club's new manager remain ongoing.
A statement from Shaw was released on Blackburn's official website, www.rovers.co.uk, last night confirming their interest in the 37-year-old former Portsmouth boss, with a Blackpool statement acknowledging a "formal approach" shortly afterwards.
Despite no further official line from Blackpool it was widely reported this morning that Rovers' bid to secure Appleton as Henning Berg's successor at Ewood Park had been knocked back.
When contacted by Press Association Sport with regards to this, Shaw said: "We're in discussion, if that can be adequate."
Pressed on whether Blackpool had rejected Rovers' initial approach, he added: "I wouldn't like to comment on that. If there's anything later we'll certainly let you know."
Appleton left Portsmouth to take the reins at Blackpool on November 7 following Ian Holloway's departure to Crystal Palace, seven days on from Berg's own appointment at Rovers.
But a run of one win in 10 games, including a 2-0 defeat to Appleton's side at Bloomfield Road in his penultimate match, saw the ex-Norway international sacked after 57 days in charge.
Blackburn have won all three games since Berg was dismissed and last week issued a statement to confirm reserve team manager Gary Bowyer and head of youth Terry McPhillips would remain in caretaker charge until the end of this month.
This would now appear unlikely in light of the Appleton approach and Bowyer is due to address the media this lunchtime ahead of Rovers' trip to Wolves tomorrow.
Appleton has won two and drawn seven of his 11 Championship games in charge of Blackpool, who lie 14th in the table and six points shy of the play-offs - one point and one place behind Blackburn.
end Page 2: 13:58 (re-opens) At this afternoon's press conference, Bowyer confirmed himself and McPhillips are expected to be in charge against Wolves tomorrow night.
"As we stand we expect to be taking the team at Wolves," he said.
"As far as we're aware we were told we had it until the end of January but, like I stressed last week when that announcement was made, we understand that anything can happen in that month.
"That seems to be what's happened at the moment. The club have made an approach and it's an official approach."
He added: "To be perfectly honest, it's nothing to do with me. It's a board matter. I think it would be wrong of me to comment on a manager at another football club.
"Until we're told otherwise we'll continue to do what we've done and that's prepare the players for the game tomorrow.
"I was notified last night and told that the official approach had been made, like I have been with everything that's gone on in our time here."
Comments are closed on this article.