Fareham’s youngsters have teed up a tasty England Hockey Under-18 Boys Cup quarter-final tie with Team Bath Buccaneers as a reward for their 4-0 victory over Trojans at Stoneham Lane.

It was a thoroughly deserved win by the Henry Cort side, who ought to have won by a wider margin.

“I was delighted with the performance of the whole team, but the challenge now is to continue to produce this level of performance,” said manager Colin Bradbury.

Trojans paraded a fair sprinkling of the side that reached last season’s rain-lashed national under-18 finals day at Old Loughtonians.

But they were second best throughout and seldom looked likely capable of retrieving a lost cause once Fareham converted their first short corner of what was a competitive fourth round tie, which kept the umpires busy.

Callum McInally converted the 15th minute set-piece, by which time four cards had already been shown.

Danny Rawlins twice saw shots cleared off the Trojans line before Fareham struck a second crucial physiological blow shortly before half-time.

Will Day broke up a Trojans attack in his own half and sent Luke Cornish, the star of the show, clear into space on the right.

Cornish rounded two Trojans defenders and then goalkeeper Nikhil Chikhliwala before producing a fine composed finish from an acute angle.

The attacking vein from both sides continued after the break – but it was Fareham who scored the all important third goal of the game which effectively killed Trojans off.

Once again Cornish got it – a penalty corner switch play ending with a resounding thud on the Trojans back board.

As Trojans pushed forward, Fareham repeatedly caught them on the break and how McInally contrived to hit the base of the upright with an open goal at his mercy was beyond belief.

It took Trojans almost an hour before they forced a penalty corner of their own, but they were unable to break through a resolute Fareham defence in which Roshan Laly and Will Seabold stood out.

Both Cornish and Cameron Duncan saw yellow as the umpires dished out more cards, but despite being down to nine Fareham remained in control.

Five minutes remained when Rawlins scored Fareham’s fourth, but by then the contest was well and truly over.

To complete an afternoon of woe, Trojans had goalkeeper Chikhliwala sin binned for a trip, but Fareham made a mess of the resulting short corner.

Quarter-final draw: Belper v Cannock, Fareham v Team Bath Buccaneers, Saffron Walden v Ben Rhydding, Surbiton v City of Peterborough.