When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
No compromise on London 2012 security - Coe
2:37pm Tuesday 17th July 2012 in Sport
London 2012 chairman Lord Coe insisted today that security would not be affected despite G4S's failure to provide enough security guards for Games venues.
Speaking at the first of many daily press briefings at the Olympic Park, Lord Coe said that although Games organisers Locog had been faced with a "challenge", they would continue to work with the company to sort things out.
He said: "The numbers really haven't changed, it's really simply about the mix of security on the park, at this very moment our teams are working alongside G4S to ensure that they deliver as many of those guards as they possibly can. We want to get as many of their teams out as we can. That's the right and appropriate thing to do.
"This is not a failure in numbers, we've got the numbers there. There's no compromise on security.
"We've got 4,000 G4S people on the Olympic Park, and let us work through this. It's much better to work through it. It's really about getting people out there, getting people that are trained, that have been interviewed, that have gone through the system on to the park and where we need them.
"I think we'll get them to a good position, and at the moment that is the challenge, but let's put this in proportion. This has not, nor will it, impact on the safety and security of these Games, that of course is our number one priority."
Asked whether he thought G4S chief executive Nick Buckles should resign, Lord Coe said: "It's not for me to make any judgments about that.
"Our task at the moment is really to help get to the position where they are able to deploy and mobilise all the people that are there to be mobilised and deployed."
Asked by Labour MP David Winnick of the Commons Home Affairs Committee today if it was a "humiliating shambles for the company", Mr Buckles said: "I could not disagree with you."
And asked if he agreed the reputation of G4S was in tatters, Mr Buckles said: "At the moment, I would have to agree with you."
He insisted the firm has had a good reputation "over the years", but added: "At the moment, it's not a good position to be in."
Mr Buckles said he told Locog on July 3 that his firm experienced a shortfall over the weekend, in part due to its scheduling system not working properly.
It was monitored daily but it was not until an Olympics Security Board meeting, chaired by Charles Farr on July 11, that the firm said it was not going to meet its contract obligations.