THE Hampshire Premier League’s hopes of Inter League Cup glory were dashed in the first round.

They took the lead against the Cambridgeshire League at Hamble FC through a 23rd minute goal from Callum Drake, but two penalty decisions went against them and they lost 2-1.

The hosts went ahead went Bush Hill’s Nathan Gray ran through and chipped the keeper. The ball rebounded off a post and Drake was there first to net the rebound.

Cambridgeshire levelled shortly before half-time when the referee incensed the HPL XI by awarding a spot-kick for a foul. After a delay due to home protests, Lambert converted from 12 yards.

The visitors stepped up a gear in the second half and, after Gray had headed a great chance wide from a free-kick, Hills put them ahead after 56 minutes.

The HPL had a good shout for a penalty as Drake appeared to be brought down as he shaped to shoot.

Because of the inter-league game, there was a shortened HPL programme as clubs could postpone their league matches if they had players called up for the league XI.

In the battle of the bottom two, Connor Moody scored to give second bottom Hedge End Rangers their first win at the expense of Colden Common.

Rangers had only previously taken one point from seven games, while Common now prop up the table after losing for the eighth time in nine outings.

Harry Potter and Jamie Eyre scored in the first 18 minutes as Clanfield won 2-1 at Fleetlands. Jake Gregory replied 20 minutes from time.

Darren Ritchie left it late to snatch a winner for Sway at Winchester Castle - the only goal of the contest coming in the 90th minute.

Netley Central and Four Marks remain joint top of the HPL Division 1 after comprehensive victories.

Ash Lovett and Mike Mullins both scored twice in Netley’s 7-3 romp at Michelmersh & Timsbury. Chris Skilton, Charlie Hinge and an own goal also scored.

But Four Marks stay top on goal difference after a 4-0 home victory over Headley, through Westbrook (2), Fry and Bert.

Dave Kyle, Luke Dawkins, Luke Maurin and Stefan Branall scored as Upham defeated AFC Petersfield 4-2.

Bush Hill Reserves are through to the second round of the Hampshire Intermediate Cup after a 2-1 home win over South Wonston. D Spencer and K Yandell were on target.