Jones urges Saints to stop switching keepers

Paul Jones

Paul Jones

First published in Saints News

Saints have been urged to at last find stability in the goalkeeper position during January, after yet another change in that department this week.

Kelvin Davis was dropped in favour of Artur Boruc for Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Arsenal, marking the fifth time the keeper has been switched in the club’s Premier League campaign, writes GORDON SIMPSON.

Saints’ former stopper, Paul Jones, pictured right, has warned that the lack of a trusted number one can lead to dangerous disruption at the back.

Like many fans, Jones is hoping the club can this month resolve what has proved to be their most troublesome position of all – either by one of their current three keepers finally laying claim to the shirt, or by addressing the problem in the transfer window.

Full story in today's Daily Echo

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:00am Thu 3 Jan 13

Just A Voice says...

I reckon most fans feel the same, pick one of the 3 or buy someone else now and make number 1 for the rest of the season.
I reckon most fans feel the same, pick one of the 3 or buy someone else now and make number 1 for the rest of the season. Just A Voice
  • Score: 0

9:01am Thu 3 Jan 13

hedge end bob says...

I think it s time to buy prem experience. We are over half way through the season and none of the present three have made the spot theirs. Speaks for itself.
I think it s time to buy prem experience. We are over half way through the season and none of the present three have made the spot theirs. Speaks for itself. hedge end bob
  • Score: 0

9:02am Thu 3 Jan 13

Alicesdad says...

I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down. Alicesdad
  • Score: 0

9:11am Thu 3 Jan 13

Just A Voice says...

Alicesdad wrote:
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.
[quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.[/p][/quote]Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy. Just A Voice
  • Score: 0

10:47am Thu 3 Jan 13

petethephantom says...

Just A Voice wrote:
Alicesdad wrote:
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.
i would rather go with KD
unless we get another
[quote][p][bold]Just A Voice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.[/p][/quote]Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.[/p][/quote]i would rather go with KD unless we get another petethephantom
  • Score: 0

10:50am Thu 3 Jan 13

InCortesewetrust says...

CARLO CUDICINI?
CARLO CUDICINI? InCortesewetrust
  • Score: 0

12:27pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

petethephantom wrote:
Just A Voice wrote:
Alicesdad wrote:
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.
i would rather go with KD
unless we get another
Difficult decision it seems.
[quote][p][bold]petethephantom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Just A Voice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.[/p][/quote]Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.[/p][/quote]i would rather go with KD unless we get another[/p][/quote]Difficult decision it seems. Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Thu 3 Jan 13

El Santo says...

Rising_Son wrote:
petethephantom wrote:
Just A Voice wrote:
Alicesdad wrote:
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.
i would rather go with KD
unless we get another
Difficult decision it seems.
It's obviously not an easy decision, as reflected by NA's hesitation. If, after 5 months, he has not been able to go for any of them, we need another guy. If we cannot find anyone we can trust above what we have, then stick to Boruc and pray he improves and that the defense settle down around him.
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petethephantom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Just A Voice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.[/p][/quote]Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.[/p][/quote]i would rather go with KD unless we get another[/p][/quote]Difficult decision it seems.[/p][/quote]It's obviously not an easy decision, as reflected by NA's hesitation. If, after 5 months, he has not been able to go for any of them, we need another guy. If we cannot find anyone we can trust above what we have, then stick to Boruc and pray he improves and that the defense settle down around him. El Santo
  • Score: 0

1:12pm Thu 3 Jan 13

st1halo says...

Well we haven't tried Cody in there yet so plenty more options to come! Has any team fielded two goalies and nine outfield players before? Worth a try!! (joke)

STID
Well we haven't tried Cody in there yet so plenty more options to come! Has any team fielded two goalies and nine outfield players before? Worth a try!! (joke) STID st1halo
  • Score: 0

1:24pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

El Santo wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
petethephantom wrote:
Just A Voice wrote:
Alicesdad wrote:
I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.
Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.
i would rather go with KD
unless we get another
Difficult decision it seems.
It's obviously not an easy decision, as reflected by NA's hesitation. If, after 5 months, he has not been able to go for any of them, we need another guy. If we cannot find anyone we can trust above what we have, then stick to Boruc and pray he improves and that the defense settle down around him.
I think he'll probably settle on Gazzaniga our Boruc.
[quote][p][bold]El Santo[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petethephantom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Just A Voice[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alicesdad[/bold] wrote: I doubt we will be buying another keeper. I expect he will eventually stay with Boruc once the early nerves have settled down.[/p][/quote]Not convinced by him at all, I would go with the young un if we are not going to buy.[/p][/quote]i would rather go with KD unless we get another[/p][/quote]Difficult decision it seems.[/p][/quote]It's obviously not an easy decision, as reflected by NA's hesitation. If, after 5 months, he has not been able to go for any of them, we need another guy. If we cannot find anyone we can trust above what we have, then stick to Boruc and pray he improves and that the defense settle down around him.[/p][/quote]I think he'll probably settle on Gazzaniga our Boruc. Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

1:25pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

our -> or
our -> or Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

2:36pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Abbey Saint says...

Have to agree with the need for an established regular keeper behind the defence with mutual understanding, trust and respect The goalkeeping position is the biggest challenge for Saints right now. Saints maybe bought the lad Gazza hoping he'd be the regular no. 1, I think a little like Casillas did at Real Madrid. They expected Davis to be no 2, with any third back up. Boruc arrived late in pre-season and I think that by then, Saints realised that Gazza needed more time to develop into a premiership goalkeeper. So now there's no clear no 1. Interesting to see what if anything happens in the January window.
Have to agree with the need for an established regular keeper behind the defence with mutual understanding, trust and respect The goalkeeping position is the biggest challenge for Saints right now. Saints maybe bought the lad Gazza hoping he'd be the regular no. 1, I think a little like Casillas did at Real Madrid. They expected Davis to be no 2, with any third back up. Boruc arrived late in pre-season and I think that by then, Saints realised that Gazza needed more time to develop into a premiership goalkeeper. So now there's no clear no 1. Interesting to see what if anything happens in the January window. Abbey Saint
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Thu 3 Jan 13

CB FRY LIVES says...

InCortesewetrust wrote:
CARLO CUDICINI?
Good call.
[quote][p][bold]InCortesewetrust[/bold] wrote: CARLO CUDICINI?[/p][/quote]Good call. CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 0

3:02pm Thu 3 Jan 13

CB FRY LIVES says...

I expect Nigel will change keepers again for the cup match this weekend.Gazza's turn.
I expect Nigel will change keepers again for the cup match this weekend.Gazza's turn. CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 0

3:04pm Thu 3 Jan 13

El Santo says...

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
InCortesewetrust wrote:
CARLO CUDICINI?
Good call.
Sorensen?
[quote][p][bold]CB FRY LIVES[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]InCortesewetrust[/bold] wrote: CARLO CUDICINI?[/p][/quote]Good call.[/p][/quote]Sorensen? El Santo
  • Score: 0

3:07pm Thu 3 Jan 13

stjamie says...

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
InCortesewetrust wrote:
CARLO CUDICINI?
Good call.
Unfortunately Cudicini joined LA Galaxy earlier this week. Boruc is currently the best we have at the club although Gazzaniga has loads of potential. Unfortunately he has made his mistakes in front of cameras in the Prem,most young keepers make there errors in front of one man and his dog.
[quote][p][bold]CB FRY LIVES[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]InCortesewetrust[/bold] wrote: CARLO CUDICINI?[/p][/quote]Good call.[/p][/quote]Unfortunately Cudicini joined LA Galaxy earlier this week. Boruc is currently the best we have at the club although Gazzaniga has loads of potential. Unfortunately he has made his mistakes in front of cameras in the Prem,most young keepers make there errors in front of one man and his dog. stjamie
  • Score: 0

6:45pm Thu 3 Jan 13

Snebs says...

Paul Robinson for me
Paul Robinson for me Snebs
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Thu 3 Jan 13

techsture says...

No new keeper Adkins is quoted by the Times at 16:45

This is why he has to go. He hasn't a clue if the realists hasn't told him to drop Davis and fox SFC would be under QPR.

Do us another favir Nigel and get rid of J-rod the guy is useless
No new keeper Adkins is quoted by the Times at 16:45 This is why he has to go. He hasn't a clue if the realists hasn't told him to drop Davis and fox SFC would be under QPR. Do us another favir Nigel and get rid of J-rod the guy is useless techsture
  • Score: 0

8:49pm Thu 3 Jan 13

scprof says...

Why hasn't Tommy Forecast had a game yet?

If NA was thinking about a new keeper, would he have brought Boruc back in for Davis? Don't think so.

Personally I'd go with Davis. Seems to have made the least mistakes this season from my dodgy memory.
Why hasn't Tommy Forecast had a game yet? If NA was thinking about a new keeper, would he have brought Boruc back in for Davis? Don't think so. Personally I'd go with Davis. Seems to have made the least mistakes this season from my dodgy memory. scprof
  • Score: 0

9:50pm Thu 3 Jan 13

st.athan saint says...

techsture wrote:
No new keeper Adkins is quoted by the Times at 16:45

This is why he has to go. He hasn't a clue if the realists hasn't told him to drop Davis and fox SFC would be under QPR.

Do us another favir Nigel and get rid of J-rod the guy is useless
On the rare occasions NA has played JR in his right position ( he's not a wide or feed off the main striker player ) IMO he's looked ok as a long term replacemnt for RL. Funny what happens when you put round pegs in round holes ! Also any player especially strikers need a run of games to
see the best of them.Too early to dismiss him.And in fairness to NA he dropped KD for PG and it cost us 4 points !!
[quote][p][bold]techsture[/bold] wrote: No new keeper Adkins is quoted by the Times at 16:45 This is why he has to go. He hasn't a clue if the realists hasn't told him to drop Davis and fox SFC would be under QPR. Do us another favir Nigel and get rid of J-rod the guy is useless[/p][/quote]On the rare occasions NA has played JR in his right position ( he's not a wide or feed off the main striker player ) IMO he's looked ok as a long term replacemnt for RL. Funny what happens when you put round pegs in round holes ! Also any player especially strikers need a run of games to see the best of them.Too early to dismiss him.And in fairness to NA he dropped KD for PG and it cost us 4 points !! st.athan saint
  • Score: 0

10:54am Fri 4 Jan 13

Red n White says...

I think having three keepers, from which any of them could play can have a positive impact. It will make them give their all in training and they know they must perform well in matches. Just look at both Hart and Cech's poor performances this season with noone to challenge them. Somehow keeper has become the only position where it's perceived you can't change te player.
I think having three keepers, from which any of them could play can have a positive impact. It will make them give their all in training and they know they must perform well in matches. Just look at both Hart and Cech's poor performances this season with noone to challenge them. Somehow keeper has become the only position where it's perceived you can't change te player. Red n White
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Fri 4 Jan 13

callcopse says...

Red n White wrote:
I think having three keepers, from which any of them could play can have a positive impact. It will make them give their all in training and they know they must perform well in matches. Just look at both Hart and Cech's poor performances this season with noone to challenge them. Somehow keeper has become the only position where it's perceived you can't change te player.
I think the only option is play rush keepers. Put all three of them in at the back and get them to swap over to do the bits they are good at.
[quote][p][bold]Red n White[/bold] wrote: I think having three keepers, from which any of them could play can have a positive impact. It will make them give their all in training and they know they must perform well in matches. Just look at both Hart and Cech's poor performances this season with noone to challenge them. Somehow keeper has become the only position where it's perceived you can't change te player.[/p][/quote]I think the only option is play rush keepers. Put all three of them in at the back and get them to swap over to do the bits they are good at. callcopse
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree