Report this comment
  • "
    saintlysoul wrote:
    saintkenny wrote:
    saintlysoul wrote:
    saintkenny wrote:
    saintlysoul wrote:
    saintkenny wrote:
    saintlysoul wrote:
    Guly starts tonight as does Lambert. De Ridder and Chaplow on the bench!!!!!!
    as cortesse picked the team then ,de ridder is awful guly to lazy for me spells trouble if this is true
    Has NC picked the team? I don't know. I have my suspicions hat he may have. What is interesting is thefact that apart from about 4 occasions this season Chaplow hasn't featured. De Ridder likewise appeared to be out of favour with NA save for a couple of matches latterly when he featured on the bench. The Guly selection surprises / concerns me. I dont want to 'knock' Guly but I agree I think also that he is a lazy player. No doubt the new manager has to get to know his team but these selections suggest to be that NC may be influencing selection. I may be totally wrong.

    Whatever happens I wish the Saints good luck tonight!!!!!
    if put de ridder on the pitch though he his way under this level .i cant se him being here much longer .not sure why na put him on .fox offers more and better cover for shaw .not impressed with this guy .league one level for me
    I agree what you say about De Ridder. Fox is on the bench tonight. No doubt all the players will play out of their skins tonight to impress the new boss. It may be he wants to 'try' the whole squad to see what he has available. We'll all have to just wait and see!!!!!!
    thats if what you say his true.you did say that na was going ,but you did miss the fact that the new manager had been watching the team for a month .so you knew nothing about that .teams dont need to be handed in yet tikll much later .i will watch with interest.on this one
    Yes I accept I did miss the fact that the new manager had been watching the squad for a month if in fact that is right. I've no reason to believe it isn't correct but why would he have De Ridder and Chaplow on the bench if that in fact the case? What has he seen of Chaplow and Re Ridder? Having seen Guly over the last month why start with him? These are all questions we will never n
    Know the answers to. I got the new manager completely wrong as I had said it would be Di Matteo - a lesson learnt in not believing everything you're told!!!!!!

    Whatever happens I wish the new coaching team all the very best and success tonight. I for one will be supporting them!!!!!!
    Well, ahem, I have to admit that I always had a soft spot for Chaplow. I think he is a stronger contention midfielder than the rest.
    On the other side, I am usually wrong..."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Pep's backing for new Saints boss Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino

Mauricio Pochettino

First published in Saints News
Last updated

by Joseph Sexton

Mauricio Pochettino’s remarkable work with the Espanyol youth academy helped win him a dream job with Saints – and the backing of ex-Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola!

The 40-year-old Argentinian was sacked by the La Liga club towards the end of last November with Espanyol bottom of the table.

In his last 20 league games with the club, stretching back to the end of last season, the new Saints boss won just three and lost 13.

During his 145 games in the Spanish top flight with Barcelona-based Espanyol, Pochettino’s win ratio was 34 per cent with 44 per cent of games lost.

But it was his work with Espanyol’s academy that mainly attracted him to Saints chairman Nicola Cortese.

Pochettino is held in high regard in Spain, and Bayern Munich boss in waiting Guardiola has said: “I admire him for his ideals, his character. The foundations of his principles are always the same.”

Saints’ academy has produced gems in recent years such as Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale, Alex Chamberlain, Adam Lallana and now Luke Shaw.

But Espanyol’s record is even more impressive, and Pochettino takes a lot of credit for that.

They have produced a remarkable 15 Spanish internationals across all age levels since the turn of the Millennium.

Around forty players currently appearing in Spain’s top two divisions have come from Espanyol.

Cortese has said he wants to build a Barcelona-type model at Saints. Seven of the Barca side that started the 2009 Champions League final were home-grown, and Cortese believes he can oversee such a system at St Mary’s.

Comments (198)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree