Coutinho tipped to be a success

Philippe Coutinho

Philippe Coutinho

First published in Saints News

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti believes a move to the Premier League would represent a “great opportunity” for Philippe Coutinho.

Liverpool have agreed an £8.5million fee with Inter for their Brazilian playmaker, who has also attracted interest from Saints.

Coutinho, 20, is expected to travel to Liverpool early this week to complete a medical and other formalities, and he goes with Moratti’s blessing.

“There are opportunities there to be seized. Sometimes certain players need the chance to play more,” Moratti said.

“And that's why I think this could be a great opportunity for a Coutinho, and a deal that could go very well for us too.”

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers had said on Friday he was still looking to add to his squad with one or two new players before Thursday’s transfer deadline.

Rodgers was unwilling to comment on speculation linking the club with Coutinho but it is now understand the club have succeeded with an approach after previous advances were rejected.

Liverpool will also need to apply for a work permit for the player.

If the deal is completed, Coutinho would become the club’s second signing of this transfer window following the £12million capture of Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea.

Coutinho came through the youth system at Vasco da Gama before joining Inter at the age of 18.

He spent the second half of last season on loan at Espanyol, where he worked with new Saints manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Pochettino’s appointment at Saints led to speculation linking Coutinho, but it is understood he would prefer to move to Anfield.

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:32am Mon 28 Jan 13

Rhombus says...

Saints just won't compete when the bigger clubs are interested.
Saints just won't compete when the bigger clubs are interested. Rhombus
  • Score: 0

10:45am Mon 28 Jan 13

SO50 Saint says...

Yes Rhombus just like the signings of Ramirez and Forren. I don't blame anyone that wants to go to Liverpool they were a massive club.
Yes Rhombus just like the signings of Ramirez and Forren. I don't blame anyone that wants to go to Liverpool they were a massive club. SO50 Saint
  • Score: 0

10:49am Mon 28 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

Anyone get the feeling that the main purpose of this article is to get a reaction and not simply inform?
Anyone get the feeling that the main purpose of this article is to get a reaction and not simply inform? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

10:50am Mon 28 Jan 13

RockinEd says...

Why is this Saints news??? We had a bid accepted by Inter, he would rather play for Liverpool... now nothing to do with Saints news anymore. Move on!!!
Why is this Saints news??? We had a bid accepted by Inter, he would rather play for Liverpool... now nothing to do with Saints news anymore. Move on!!! RockinEd
  • Score: 0

10:51am Mon 28 Jan 13

RockinEd says...

Rising_Son wrote:
Anyone get the feeling that the main purpose of this article is to get a reaction and not simply inform?
Totally agree
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: Anyone get the feeling that the main purpose of this article is to get a reaction and not simply inform?[/p][/quote]Totally agree RockinEd
  • Score: 0

11:07am Mon 28 Jan 13

InCortesewetrust says...

Saints should bid for Ince now, he would rather come to us than reading, better option than this fermino guy, he is nowhere near as good as courtinho, although he dose score from a lot of long range shots,
Saints should bid for Ince now, he would rather come to us than reading, better option than this fermino guy, he is nowhere near as good as courtinho, although he dose score from a lot of long range shots, InCortesewetrust
  • Score: 0

11:09am Mon 28 Jan 13

tomw1234 says...

Why are you still running this story Echo? You're basically giving us info on a Liverpool player. Desperate times for the Echo indeed!
Why are you still running this story Echo? You're basically giving us info on a Liverpool player. Desperate times for the Echo indeed! tomw1234
  • Score: 0

11:31am Mon 28 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

11:55am Mon 28 Jan 13

murfmeister says...

hope coutinho was watching liverpool lose at Oldham yesterday!
hope coutinho was watching liverpool lose at Oldham yesterday! murfmeister
  • Score: 0

11:55am Mon 28 Jan 13

tomw1234 says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
Yeah I noticed the skate trying to anger everyone. It makes me laugh. So sad.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.[/p][/quote]Yeah I noticed the skate trying to anger everyone. It makes me laugh. So sad. tomw1234
  • Score: 0

1:01pm Mon 28 Jan 13

St.Yorkie says...

I can just see the headlines now...
Brazilian unveiled at Anfield...but what's a cheerleader bereft of underwear got to do with transfers?
I can just see the headlines now... Brazilian unveiled at Anfield...but what's a cheerleader bereft of underwear got to do with transfers? St.Yorkie
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Mon 28 Jan 13

bigfella777 says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
Your the only WUM on here.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.[/p][/quote]Your the only WUM on here. bigfella777
  • Score: 0

1:39pm Mon 28 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

bigfella777 wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
Your the only WUM on here.
Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you?
[quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.[/p][/quote]Your the only WUM on here.[/p][/quote]Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you? Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

5:29pm Mon 28 Jan 13

OSPREYSAINT says...

Rising_Son wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
Your the only WUM on here.
Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you?
It bloomin hard to tell who is and who isn't can you enlighten me please?
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.[/p][/quote]Your the only WUM on here.[/p][/quote]Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you?[/p][/quote]It bloomin hard to tell who is and who isn't can you enlighten me please? OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 0

7:05pm Mon 28 Jan 13

jezza says...

Interesting that Coutinho has played under Mauricio before but would rather not come to Southampton now.

My view on that is that he considers himself a 'luxury midfielder' and doesn't want to put the work in during training that Mauricio would demand from him again.

We don't need that type of player so Liverpool are welcome to him as far as I am concerned.
Interesting that Coutinho has played under Mauricio before but would rather not come to Southampton now. My view on that is that he considers himself a 'luxury midfielder' and doesn't want to put the work in during training that Mauricio would demand from him again. We don't need that type of player so Liverpool are welcome to him as far as I am concerned. jezza
  • Score: 0

9:47pm Mon 28 Jan 13

RahRah says...

Irony Noted!!!!
Nigel Adkins sacked, new man brought in to attract better foreign players and someone who has played under our new manager Pottechino, snubs SFC to play elsewhere!!

Thanks Mr Cortese first indications are that that plan worked well!!!!

NA = Hero, MP = Zero
Tme will tell hopefully not for the worse!!
Irony Noted!!!! Nigel Adkins sacked, new man brought in to attract better foreign players and someone who has played under our new manager Pottechino, snubs SFC to play elsewhere!! Thanks Mr Cortese first indications are that that plan worked well!!!! NA = Hero, MP = Zero Tme will tell hopefully not for the worse!! RahRah
  • Score: 0

12:59am Tue 29 Jan 13

Rising_Son says...

OSPREYSAINT wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
bigfella777 wrote:
OSPREYSAINT wrote:
If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.
Your the only WUM on here.
Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you?
It bloomin hard to tell who is and who isn't can you enlighten me please?
I was referring to bigfool.
[quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bigfella777[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]OSPREYSAINT[/bold] wrote: If you go back and scroll up the DE have a relatively good news thread about Lallana and another not so good one about MoPo running out of time to sign players, should read NC surely? It has however already been infested with a skate WUM so you might be better avoiding it.[/p][/quote]Your the only WUM on here.[/p][/quote]Clearly not a very successful wum spotter, are you?[/p][/quote]It bloomin hard to tell who is and who isn't can you enlighten me please?[/p][/quote]I was referring to bigfool. Rising_Son
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree