Small gesture could have made a big difference

Daily Echo: Dean Richards Dean Richards

First published in The Pink, Saturday March 12, 2011

EVERYONE in football was saddened by the loss of Dean Richards.

Although he came in for a far bit of stick on the handful of times he played for Spurs against Saints, we all knew that was just because we were the jilted lovers in the affair.

He was undeniably a great player, and the blow of losing such a talent was hard to take – even if there was a huge price tag attached to the transfer.

It was only two years he played in red and white, but in that time he was a rock.

In fact, just over a year ago, I was given a signed picture of Marian Pahars celebrating at The Dell, with Dean Richards running alongside him.

It currently sits on my living room wall.

Watching the tribute last weekend at Molineux – as well as Sky’s own moving tribute – was a very emotional thing. Not least when James Beattie broke down into tears.

However, I can’t help but think Saints dropped the ball by not arranging a minute’s silence, applause or even a black armband at either of the two home games since Richards’s untimely death.

A brief chant of “There’s only one Dean Richards” by the Northam Stand was most welcome during the Yeovil match, but I can’t help but think something a bit more formal from the club – a public display of respect if you will – was missing.

I appreciate there was a brief statement the day the terrible news came out and something in the match programme, but football pays its respects in the stand and on the pitch.

This is not a moan at the club, but rather a gentle nudge to remember that relatively small gestures go a very long way.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:51pm Mon 14 Mar 11

sotonric says...

The lack of acknowledgement by the club was extremely disappointing. Not even black armbands - that should have been the very least they should have done.
The lack of acknowledgement by the club was extremely disappointing. Not even black armbands - that should have been the very least they should have done. sotonric
  • Score: 0

12:09pm Thu 17 Mar 11

ramptonfromsouthampton says...

I have to say I agree with you Dan. It was pretty shoddy that we didn't give Deano due respect. As the previous poster points out, the team didn't even have black armbands. It's a sorry indication of the times we live in now that we couldn't do something as simple as honouring the passing of someone who was a great servant to the club during his time with us. Sad.
I have to say I agree with you Dan. It was pretty shoddy that we didn't give Deano due respect. As the previous poster points out, the team didn't even have black armbands. It's a sorry indication of the times we live in now that we couldn't do something as simple as honouring the passing of someone who was a great servant to the club during his time with us. Sad. ramptonfromsouthampton
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Thu 17 Mar 11

alan.of.eastleigh says...

Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs
Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs alan.of.eastleigh
  • Score: 0

2:31pm Thu 17 Mar 11

AdrianSmith says...

alan.of.eastleigh wrote:
Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs
The club was quick to (quite rightly) pay tribute to Markus Liebherr with black armbands and a minutes applause. They didnt wait for All Saints Day then, so why nothing for Deano now?

If the club wants to be at the heart of the community it has to act like it.
[quote][p][bold]alan.of.eastleigh[/bold] wrote: Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs[/p][/quote]The club was quick to (quite rightly) pay tribute to Markus Liebherr with black armbands and a minutes applause. They didnt wait for All Saints Day then, so why nothing for Deano now? If the club wants to be at the heart of the community it has to act like it. AdrianSmith
  • Score: 0

10:17am Sat 19 Mar 11

SAINTSEA says...

Deano was a great Saints player and only left because of the lure of Spurs and the big transfer fee. The other 3 clubs he played for all payed their respects, and i really think Saints made themselves look mean spirited by not doing the same
Deano was a great Saints player and only left because of the lure of Spurs and the big transfer fee. The other 3 clubs he played for all payed their respects, and i really think Saints made themselves look mean spirited by not doing the same SAINTSEA
  • Score: 0

9:21am Tue 22 Mar 11

MGRA says...

alan.of.eastleigh wrote:
Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs
NC showed his complete lack of understanding of basic manners and respect. But for many in football, this is not a surprise. Dean's story is tragic, his heart was always in it when he put on the shirt and the fans would have responded to a recognition of his service to the saints. Hampshire FA wanted to sanction a minutes silence for a convicted paedophile and this was only stopped due to public outrage. This summarises football nicely.
[quote][p][bold]alan.of.eastleigh[/bold] wrote: Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs[/p][/quote]NC showed his complete lack of understanding of basic manners and respect. But for many in football, this is not a surprise. Dean's story is tragic, his heart was always in it when he put on the shirt and the fans would have responded to a recognition of his service to the saints. Hampshire FA wanted to sanction a minutes silence for a convicted paedophile and this was only stopped due to public outrage. This summarises football nicely. MGRA
  • Score: 0

2:44pm Fri 1 Apr 11

RBLA says...

MGRA wrote:
alan.of.eastleigh wrote: Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs
NC showed his complete lack of understanding of basic manners and respect. But for many in football, this is not a surprise. Dean's story is tragic, his heart was always in it when he put on the shirt and the fans would have responded to a recognition of his service to the saints. Hampshire FA wanted to sanction a minutes silence for a convicted paedophile and this was only stopped due to public outrage. This summarises football nicely.
No be assured my wife's lad actually had to follow a minute's silence ........ causing outrage a week later when he found out who it was for !

As you say 'summarises football nicely' !!
[quote][p][bold]MGRA[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alan.of.eastleigh[/bold] wrote: Two comments since Monday suggests, sadly, that the club were right. All saints Day is an annual opportunity to pay our respects to all those that have sadly passed away. Just because we did not do a formal minutes silence does not mean individuals cannot pay their respects. Did not see too many wreaths down ther last week. Let's pay our respects as we see fit and not just criticise others for how they express theirs[/p][/quote]NC showed his complete lack of understanding of basic manners and respect. But for many in football, this is not a surprise. Dean's story is tragic, his heart was always in it when he put on the shirt and the fans would have responded to a recognition of his service to the saints. Hampshire FA wanted to sanction a minutes silence for a convicted paedophile and this was only stopped due to public outrage. This summarises football nicely.[/p][/quote]No be assured my wife's lad actually had to follow a minute's silence ........ causing outrage a week later when he found out who it was for ! As you say 'summarises football nicely' !! RBLA
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree