When news happens, text SDE and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Beware carbon monoxide danger
3:25pm Tuesday 11th February 2014 in Readers' Letters
WITH severe weather on the horizon again this week families across the UK will likely turn their heating up – leaving them exposed to increased risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from faulty appliances.
The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign is imploring Brits to ensure that they are protected from carbon monoxide poisoning by installing an audible carbon monoxide alarm in their homes.
According to the Department of Health more than 40 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year and thousands more are treated in hospital. It is likely many more victims go unrecognised because the early symptoms can easily be mistaken for common illnesses such as flu or food poisoning.
The only way to fully protect yourself and your family is to have an audible alarm. They are widely available from any good DIY store and can cost less than £20. Worryingly a recent major study found that fewer than one in ten homes has one.
Carbon monoxide has no smell, taste or colour, meaning it is easily inhaled without a victim realising. It can kill you or cause lasting damage to your health, including permanent brain damage.
For more information about how to stay safe visit cobealarmed.co.uk.
LAWRENCE SLADE, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign.
Comments are closed on this article.