THE airwaves turned blue when a man burst into The Saint radio station and subjected listeners to a foul-mouthed rant live on air.

And after being thrown out of the St Mary's studios, he then allegedly rammed a car into the stadium wall, police said.

The drama is said to have unfolded following a party for Southampton Football Club staff at St Mary's Stadium.

After guests had left the man allegedly became involved in a row that led to him storming into a studio at the stadium where presenters were broadcasting live on the club's radio station The Saint.

He managed to get on air where listeners heard him use foul language before he was thrown out by security guards.

But after being booted out the man got into his car and allegedly drove it directly at the studio.

He is then said to have crashed the blue Audi A3 through the glass doors of the building causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage.

Police were called and arrested a 29-year-old man from Chandler's Ford in the early hours of yesterday morning. He was taken into custody for questioning and was this morning charged with driving with excess alcohol and criminal damage.

Today the club issued an apology to listeners for the on-air rant and confirmed no one had been injured as a result of the incident which happened after partygoers, not thought to have included any first team players, had left.

Saints' operations director Lee Hoos said: "We can confirm a man was arrested at approximately 2am after an event at St Mary's.

"All the guests had left by then and no one else was involved. There was some damage to radio station property and the man did briefly get on air, interrupting the scheduled show.

"There was a small amount of bad language, for which we apologise. Following that there was a further incident which saw the radio station doors damaged by a car.

"Thankfully no one was hurt and no employees of the football club were involved."

A spokesman for Hampshire police confirmed a man was charged with driving with excess alcohol and criminal damage.

"We can confirm that police did attend an incident at Southampton Football Club in the early hours of the morning. A 29-year-old man is helping us with our inquiries."

Stadium bosses yesterday boarded up the damage caused by the car and the station was broadcasting on air as usual.