A youth worker driving a minibus caused a cyclist's death in Southampton after his wing mirror knocked him off his bike on a busy commuter road, a court has heard.

Steven Petterson, 38, of Waterhouse Lane, denies causing the death of 48-year-old David Irving by driving without due care and attention.

Rufus Taylor, prosecuting, told Southampton Crown Court how Mr Irving, an IT consultant, had left his home in Wimborne, Dorset, on the morning of December 17, 2012 by car, which he parked in the outskirts of Southampton, and continued his journey to work in the city centre on his Giant bike.

Mr Taylor said that the accident happened despite Mr Irving wearing an orange high visibility jacket, an anklet with LED lights and lights on his bicycle.

It was as he was cycling along the three-lane Mountbatten Way that he was knocked from his bike causing him extensive injuries to his head and body. His cycle helmet was ''smashed to bits'', the prosecutor added.

Mr Taylor said that a lifeboatman and a fireman, both trained medics, were amongst the first on the scene and tried to help him.

He said: ''It was apparent to these two experienced medics he had suffered a serious head injury and he was going downhill quickly.''

Mr Irving died shortly afterwards, Mr Taylor said.

He added that a post mortem showed that Mr Irving suffered a head injury which was consistent with being hit by a wing mirror and he also suffered injuries to his body, including 38 fractures to his ribs, which were caused by him being run over.

Mr Taylor explained that Mr Petterson stopped the Ford Transit minibus after he heard a bang and believed he had hit a bus signpost.

It was only when he found out that there had been a serious accident that he called the police and told them that he believed he might have been involved, Mr Taylor said.

He was arrested and told police: ''I was driving slowly because there was a lot of traffic.

''There was a bang and my wing mirror slammed against the van. I didn't see what caused the impact.

''I checked the remaining mirror and couldn't see anything in the carriageway behind me. I didn't see anything to explain it, I thought I must have hit a bus stop, I drove on and began to think it couldn't have been a bus stop in the middle of the busy carriageway.''

He added that visibility was reduced that morning by the low sun.

He told police: ''The sun was very bright and low in the sky, it was right in my face and all the traffic was driving right into the sun. I could see the road but it was reduced by the glare.

''I believe I was driving carefully but the sun was making it poor visibility.''

He added: ''I am horrified that my vehicle may have hit this person and he has lost his life.''

Mr Taylor said that the driver of a Mercedes car also contacted police after the incident as he believed he might have hit Mr Irving.

The trial continues.