A YOUNG Hampshire mum died after being hit by a car while standing still in the middle of the A36 with her arms outstretched, an inquest heard.

Kayleigh Quinn suffered fatal multiple injuries when a Volkswagen Golf collided with her near West Wellow at 11.15pm on the night of September 24 last year.

An inquest heard how a post-mortem found that the 27-year-old had three times the legal driving limit of alcohol in her blood at the time, as well as prescription drugs and amphetamines.

It concluded that the mum-of-three would have died instantly.

Hampshire coroner Grahame Short was told how Ms Quinn, of Park Road, Fordingbridge, was asked to leave the Red Rover pub beside the A36 on the night of her death after a solo three-hour drinking session there.

Pub supervisor Katherine Hawkins said she became so verbally aggressive the door was locked behind her when she left.

Ms Quinn was then seen staggering on and off the carriageway shouting: “I will walk in the road, I will do what I want.”

Recalling the moment of the crash, the driver of the car, Khadir Miah, who was returning to his Portsmouth home after work, said: “I saw something in front of me in a star shape. I tried to avoid it.”

But a police investigation concluded it would have been almost impossible for the 45-year-old restaurant worker, who was driving within the speed limit, to have missed Ms Quinn as she was standing in a dip of an unlit road and wearing dark clothes.

The court was told how she was pronounced dead on arrival at Southampton General Hospital.

Ms Quinn, whose children were aged seven, five and two at the time, had previously been diagnosed as suffering from a borderline personality disorder but counselling had been delayed by a long waiting list.

Recording a narrative verdict that her death was caused by a collision with a car, Mr Short said: “I am satisfied that she was behaving in a drunken manner, going on and off the carriageway in a way that endangered not only her but other road users along that section.”