FOUR people were rescued from a burning Hampshire flat in the early hours of today.

Two men and two women were  dramatically led to safety from a second floor apartment in Roachford Road, Portsmouth, after the blaze broke out at 2.48am.

They were taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

An investigation is underway after the fire broke out in a kitchen of the home.

Firefighters from Cosham and Portchester stations arrived to battle the blaze.

They used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to contained the flames to the room and stop it spreading to the rest of the building.