A WINCHESTER man died of mesothelioma after what is thought to have been one of the longest incubation periods of asbestos exposure in the Hampshire area.

Philip Hall died at his home in Stoke Charity on June 13 as a result of malignant mesothelioma, while waiting for admission to a hospice.

The 94-year-old retired chemist is believed to have been exposed while working at a munitions factory in the early 1940s.

His daughter, Elizabeth Howlett Hall, said: “He very often used to tell us as children that heating in such a situation could not be by gas or open fire because of the rather large explosive components, so heating was by steam, pumped through the building through asbestos pipes.”

Simon Burge, deputy coroner for central Hampshire, recorded a verdict of death due to industrial disease.