HE had caused the death of a popular biker who had left a void in the life of her mother "that can never be filled".

Philip Stocks walks free after he was given a community order at Southampton Crown Court for causing death by careless driving.

The 35-year old from Fareham had crashed into Carol Carr's, known as Bubbles, Yamaha 900 bike moments after he had finished a phone call on a hands-free set.

He had been distracted by a work colleague who he was supposed to pick up at the junction of Moorhill Road and Southern Road in West End when his Vauxhall Insignia hit her bike.

Ms Carr, from Bitterne, died on February 18 last year.

The 50-year-old nanny set up biker convoys ferrying toys and chocolates to disabled youngsters and children’s care homes during the 1980s and 1990s and hosted regular fundraising Bubbles Balls in Southampton Guild Hall.

She also spent time caring for her mother, Rita.

At his sentencing yesterday prosecutor Stuart Ellacott read out a statement to the court on behalf of Rita.

She said her health had deteriorated since her daughter's death.

She added: "I cannot comprehend that Carol will never be coming back and think about her constantly every day.

"I miss talking to her every night on the phone when she always called to wish me goodnight and make sure that I had settled, and now I cry myself to sleep most nights as I recall over and over the events of that tragic day.

"Each time I go to my front door to collect my post I think of the times that Carol would come through the door and call out to me and I suddenly realise that I shall never hear her voice again."

A statement by Ms Carr's brother Adrian, a motorbike mechanic, was also read out.

He said he "can't find the light at the end of the tunnel" and hoped to "move on" following the trial.

He added: "I'm angry watching the sadness that is making my mum I'll and worn out from being angry at how long it has taken to see an end to all this so we can try and turn a corner to move on with our lives. Nothing can replace my sister."

Defending barrister Mark Ashley said that if Stocks "could wind back the clock he would. He's deeply sorry, deeply affected himself."

Judge Nicholas Rowlands questioned whether he had shown any remorse after a jury found him guilty of death by careless driving after he had denied the charge.

"That didn't seem to be apparent during the trial. I know there are pressures on people during the trial but he didn't come across as that sympathetic," he said.

Judge Rowlands said Ms Carr should have been clearly seen even though Mr Ashley said that Stocks looked but "simply didn't see her".

Passing sentence, Judge Rowlands said: "Carol Carr was there to be seen in that February morning. Even if she had no headlights illuminated, you should have seen her."

Stocks, from Redlands Lane, was ordered to do 300 hours unpaid community service with supervision for 12 months, disqualified from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay £2,500 court costs and victim surcharge.