A POPULAR young man battling depression after breaking up with his girlfriend hanged himself, an inquest heard.

Cameron Lyons, 22, of Mallards Road, Bursledon, was found dead at a church in Netley after going missing in November.

The inquest heard he was prescribed anti-depressants as he struggled to come to terms with the end of his 10-month relationship.

A keen footballer, cricketer and former Hamble Community Sports College student, Cameron was described by family as selfless and much-loved,.

Best friend Dave Skinner told the inquest that Cameron enjoyed his job – a driver’s mate for John Lewis – until the split last summer.

“He tried a lot to consolidate the relationship from the way it ended so quickly,” Mr Skinner said. “He didn’t want to accept that. He just kept trying.”

Cameron overdosed in early September in an attempt to “feel numb”, medical records read to the inquest showed. He was prescribed anti-depressants after an assessment at Southampton General Hospital. The medical records said Cameron had low moods for “many years” but didn’t seek help.

Later in September he called friends to St Mary the Virgin Church, Hound Road, Netley, to help him as he battled his low mood, the inquest heard. He had an item in his bag which could have been used to hang himself, Mr Skinner said.

Cameron’s sister, Sophie Lyons picked him up from work on November 4, the night he disappeared.

She said: “He was particularly tearful. I did try to ask him what was wrong but he just told me to leave him alone.”

That night Cameron phoned Mr Skinner’s partner, a close friend of his ex-girlfriend, to ask whether she was “over him” or seeing anyone else, the inquest heard.

“She said: ‘I don’t know’,” Mr Skinner told the hearing. “He became upset and put the phone down.”

Daily Echo:

The next morning the alarm was raised that Cameron was missing and his mother found a suicide note.

written in a John Lewis notepad.

Mr Skinner found his best friend hanged in the churchyard. No anti-depressants were found in Cameron’s system.

Hampshire coroner Grahame Short recorded a verdict of suicide.

Tributes poured in for Cameron in November while friends and family let Chinese lanterns into the night sky at Hamble Quay.

In a statement the family said: “We want to thank all of our friends, family and the media at this time for their kindness towards our family.

“In addition, special thanks to suicide support charity The Red Lipstick Foundation for their bereavement support and the police officers working that day for their compassion.

“Cameron was a much loved son, brother and friend with an infectious sense of humour. He was selfless, choosing to make other people smile despite how he was feeling inside. This is how we would like him to be remembered; the happy Cameron everyone know and loved.”