POLICE have ordered the temporary closure of a nightclub in Southampton after two men were stabbed and another suffered head injuries.

Junk in London Road has been ordered to stay closed for 24 hours after a fight outside the club in the early hours of yesterday.

All three men, aged 26, 32 and 34 were taken to Southampton General Hospital after police were called at 3.55am to reports of the fight.

Detectives arrested four men aged between 19 and 21, all from the London area, on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and affray.

They continue to be questioned in custody today.

As a result of the fight, police served a 24-hour closure notice on Junk yesterday afternoon as inquiries are ongoing.

The incident led police to cordon off part of Carlton Place while they investigated.

South Central Ambulance Service were also at the scene and a spokesman said that while they were there, staff were called to another knife attack at nearby Carlton Place where a man was taken to Southampton General Hospital.

The road was sealed off at its junction with Winchester Street.

Yesterday morning a small bit of red and white tape was still attached to a drainpipe and there were traces of blood on the pavement.

Now officers are appealing for information from the public.

Detective Inspector John McGonigle said: "We'd like to reassure the community that we're treating this as an isolated incident and are conducting a thorough investigation.

"There will be increased patrols in the area throughout the weekend to provide reassurance and a visible policing presence.

"We're still investigating the circumstances around this incident."

The South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said the first call was received at 3.56am.

“Security staff at Junk nightclub in London Road said a member of the public had been stabbed. We sent an ambulance and took the person to Southampton General Hospital.

“While we were dealing with that incident the ambulance crew and the police were approached by a member of the public who said a man had been stabbed in nearby Carlton Crescent.

“We sent a second ambulance to the scene and also took that person to hospital.”

He said there were unconfirmed reports that a third victim had been found by police officers, who took the person to hospital themselves. The spokesman was unable to provide any information on the severity of the injuries suffered by the victims.

People living in the area spoke of their shock after learning of the stabbings.

One man said: “This area isn’t too bad normally. Most problems involve drunkenness and anti-social behaviour by people coming out of nightclubs. What happened last night was pretty crazy.”

Anyone who saw what happened at Junk in Southampton early Friday morning should call 101 quoting Operation Twin 44160031832, or via the website: www.hampshire.police.uk/internet/do-it-online/online-forms/message-for-officer.html.

Those who would like to report anonymously can call charity Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.

Minicom users should call 01962 875000.