A PUPPY was rescued by firefighters after it became trapped in a reclining chair.

Hampshire Fire and Rescue were called just after midday today when a seven-week-old Pomeranian Chow cross puppy became trapped in the chair.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue said that the pooch, called Toby, was rescued from the chair by an Animal Rescue Officer.

After almost an hour they had managed to carefully extricate the pup from the recliner in Nelson, Portsmouth.

It is unclear how exactly Toby managed to end up inside the mechanisms of the reclining chair but he managed to escape uninjured.