SMOKE is billowing from a manhole cover in Winchester after an electrical transformer caught fire.

Eastgate Street has been shut as smoke plumes out of a grate in the pavement.

A pump crew from Winchester fire station is currently on the scene. Police are also in attendance.

VIDEO: Katie Jackson

The road is closed from Friarsgate to The Broadway and is causing delays.

A spokesperson for Hampshire Fire and Rescue said: "We were called out at 12.19pm to reports of smoke coming out of a manhole cover.

"An electrical transformer seems to have caught fire."

Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) say 40 customers are affected on Union Street, Eastgate Street, High Street and St John's North.

A spokeswoman said: "We have engineers currently at the scene working to repair the problem as quickly and safely as they can.

"Forty customers are affected and have been without power since 12.42pm.

"Engineers had to cut the power to ensure the safety of those who feed off the supply.

"We do apologies for any inconvenience that has been caused. We thank our customers for their patience at this time."