Emergency crews were called to Eastleigh Swan Centre after two customers struggled to breath when leaving a toilet.

Fire crews raced to the scene following the call just after 1.20pm.

After an assessment of the scene, it was discovered that a mix of chemicals in the drains had created a gas.

No one else was affected.

Joined by Ambulance teams, the pair were taking to Southampton General Hospital as a precaution.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “A couple of people who had used the toilet reported a bit of a smell and struggled to breath when leaving.

“We were called to investigate. It was discovered that it was just a couple of chemicals in the drains had mixed, producing a gas.”