A YOUNG Hampshire woman died of an allergic reaction to peanuts without even eating a nut, an inquest heard.

Georgina Hickman died after consuming a crisp which contained peanut flavouring, although the hearing was told peanuts were not mentioned in the ingredients.

The 24-year-old from Southampton fell unconscious shortly after having had the crisp and was taken to Southampton General Hospital in the early hours of April 1.

As a result of the reaction Georgina’s brain was starved of oxygen, leading to brain damage, Winchester Coroners Court heard.

Her condition did not improve and she died on April 5.

Pathologist Dr Jeffrey Theaker said the symptoms appeared fully consistent with an anaphylactic reaction related to peanut allergy.

The court heard Georgina was a fit and healthy woman and was aware of her allergy.

On the night between March 31 and April 1, she was in Southampton with her friends and they stopped at a shop in the city where she bought her snack.

Samuel Head, of Southampton, said they checked the ingredients on the packet but they were hard to read and they could not see any mention of nuts.

He said Georgina tried one crisp, adding: “She just agreed with me that they were horrible.”

The two met the rest of their friends and took a taxi to Hamble, where they were meant to attend a party.

Georgina’s partner David Worth, who was with her that night, said: “We all got into the taxi and headed to Hamble.

“I could see Georgina was uncomfortable. I didn’t realise it was an emergency, it seemed mild.

“When we arrived in Hamble we realised the reaction was quite severe. We called the ambulance, she was struggling to breathe.”

He added Georgina became unconscious soon after the ambulance was called.

Senior Coroner Grahame Short concluded she died of accidental death.