MYSTERY surrounds why a well known Saints fan plunged to his death from a Southampton bridge.

Grandad Kevin Smith died after falling about 30 ft from the bridge on to a busy dual carriageway.

An investigation was launched into the tragedy but it will never be known why the retired painter plunged to his death.

The 60-year-old was rushed to Southampton General Hospital after falling from West End Road bridge onto Maybray King Way.

Partamedics battled to save Mr Smith, of Bullar Road, Bitterne, but later he died from his injuries.

The incident, in view of passing motorists, closed part of the road for some time and caused major traffic chaos in the area.

An inquest heard that Mr Smith had a oprevious history of drug dependence, anxiety and psychosis, as well as an underlying personality disorder.  

He had been prescribed medication to treat his symptoms but there had been no record of Mr Smith having taken drugs for the past five years.

Futhermore toxicology results showed he had not taken drugs at the time of his death, Winchester Coroner’s Court was told.

As reported in the Daily Echo, a tribute to Mr Smith was organised by family and friends following his death on April 28.

During the event more than 50 people released a host of red and white balloons in his memory.

Saints fans also staged a round of applause during the 60th minute of the following Premier League game against Arsenal at St Marys.

Pathologist Dr Adrian Bateman, of Southampton General Hospital, told the inquest that Mr Smith died from multiple injuries, including skull and rib fractures, following the fall on April 28.

Mr Smith’s wife of 42 years, Pauline said: “We had a good and happy marriage.

“We had our ups and downs like most people but we had four children and 11 grandchildren. I am shocked this has happened.”

Tonileigh Smith, his granddaughter, said he had seemed quiet on the morning of the incident when he met her and her daughter before dropping them off at their house.

She added that he told her he was planning to go to a football match the next day. “He gave me a cuddle and told me he loved me,” she said.

Central Hampshire coroner Grahame Short said: “This was definitely not an accidental fall. I think it is probable that this was an impulsive decision to jump off the bridge, but there is no evidence here for suicide.”

He gave a narrative verdict, saying the reason for Mr Smith’s actions could not be established and that it was a non-accidental fall.