A MAN who died in the carpark of a Hampshire supermarket was found with self-inflicted injuries, an inquest heard.

Ambulance crews rushed to the Asda store, in Maynard Road, Totton, after John Giles was found lying in the corner of the car park in the early hours of the morning.

Paul French, an advertising posting and cleaning operative, had been in working in the car park at around 2.20am when he saw the 35-year-old’s body and called 999.

Despite efforts from paramedics to save his life, Mr Giles was pronounced dead at the scene.

Winchester Coroner’s Court heard that Mr Giles, who had been living in Gosport , was last seen in the Asda store at around 7pm the previous day.

Julie Chambers, a member of the store’s security staff, said a colleague had advised her that a man – who was later identified as Mr Giles – had been acting “creepily” near the changing rooms in the clothing department.

She added: “I checked him on the CCTV. I had some concerns for him and the way he was behaving. I would say that he was looking sad.”

Ms Chambers told the inquest that she later went to speak to Mr Giles to ask if he was alright, to which he replied: “I’ve had a heavy night on the beers.” A review of the store’s CCTV footage later discovered that Mr Giles had stolen a knife from the store.

No alcohol had been found in Mr Giles system according to a toxicology report, but there was a large amount of a painkilling drug.

The inquest heard that before Mr Giles’ death, his relationship with his partner of 13 years had ended and he had gone to see a doctor about having trouble sleeping.

Detective constable Kirsten Davey also revealed that he had been fearing that the police were after him.

Recording an open verdict coroner Grahame Short said: “It was clear to see that he was a troubled man. There is an indication that he was suffering from depression, although that was not diagnosed and there was an indication that he was paranoid.”

Mr Short added that because of the high amount of painkillier in his blood, he “cannot be sure he intended to kill himself”.