TWO teenagers have been arrested after an incident where a boy jumped on top of a train at Totton station and refused to get off.

Witnesses say the boy jumped onto from the roof of the station building.

One witness claimed he was threatening to jump from the train.

However train driver, identified as Terry, said he understood the teenager to be on the run from somebody.

A Hampshire Constabulary statement says: "In Salisbury Road, two members of staff from New Forest Care detained a 14-year-old boy awaiting police arrival.

"This follows a report of an assault on a staff member.

"Two other boys linked to the incident ran off to Totton railway station.

"A 14-year-old boy from Ower was arrested on suspicion of assault and offences related to trespass on the railway.

"He has been released under investigation.

"A 13-year-old boy from Sarisbury Green - and the 14-year-old boy from Ashurst who was detained by the staff member - will be attending a police station voluntarily to be interviewed under caution."

Another witness said there were three boys on the run from three men.

The witness said: “There was three lads; one on the roof one ran down the train tracks and someone said the other got knocked down by a car.

"There was three men chasing the young lads.

"I said to him sit down calm down and come and talk to me. He said he wouldn’t come down until the men were gone.”

The youngster apparently stayed on top of the train for around 15 minutes, until he was persuaded to come down.

Police officers were called to the scene and the station approach was cordoned off until around 4.40pm yesterday.

The trespass incident has caused major disruption to services across the area.

The train involved in the incident, the 4.45pm, was delayed for 45 minutes.

Trains were also blocked in both directions while the authorities worked.

South Western Railway has said train services were delayed by around 30 minutes in the area.

The incident left some passengers stranded on train between Bournemouth and Southampton.

One person, who was stopped at Ashurst, New Forest, tweeted South Western Railway to ask about the incident.

The rail company confirmed it was due to the trespasser.