THE family of a Hampshire man found hanging in woodland have slammed his medical treatment in the lead-up to his death.

Mark Vidler from Warnford was discovered off Old Park Road in Bramdean after going missing for several hours.

Winchester Coroner's Court heard that the 37-year-old had jumped out of a moving car in the week before his death but this was not passed onto his doctor.

Mr Vidler, of Wheely Farm Cottages, had a history of suicide attempts and alcohol abuse, although he had been attempting to reduce his drinking.

He was admitted to psychiatric wards four times in the months before his death on July 4, as he had been diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder and depression.

The court heard Mr Vidler, who was unemployed, was also in debt of around £50,000 and was planning to file for bankruptcy.

His family said: "We are utterly devastated by Mark's death.

"He was a gentle soul, who loved travelling, dogs and tropical fish.

"The way Southern Health treated Mark in the final months of his life adds significantly to our current agony.

"We feel the organisation failed him when he needed them most and then cynically tried to wriggle out of being criticised for their handling of him from the moment they heard of his death.

"The one person who fought Mark's corner within Southern Health was his psychiatrist Dr Ogeleye, whom we would like to thank for his efforts."

Mr Vidler had also been taken off some of his medication before his death, but consultant psychiatrist Dr Oluwafemi Ogeleye confirmed that there were a range of treatments available that were a matter for individual clinicians to decide.

Kathleen Vidler said the week before his death her son had jumped out of a moving car on route to Melbury Lodge - a mental health unit - but this was not passed along to medical staff when she called the Lodge.

Assistant coroner Simon Burge said the failure to record the incident was "significant" and there had been a "breakdown in communication".

"It seems to me that it is certainly possible that had Dr Ogeleye been made aware of the incident that his concerns would have been heightened," he said.

He recorded a conclusion of suicide.

A Southern Health spokesperson said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with Mr Vidler’s family as they continue to grieve their loss. Following the death of a patient we investigate the circumstances and identify opportunities to share learning and make improvements. We take the comments made by the coroner very seriously and will be re-visiting this investigation as a result.”


t: 01962 860836