SYDENHAMS Premier leaders Andover Town are back in the winning groove after their midweek blip at Alresford.

Glenn Burnett’s side didn’t tear up any trees on a heavy pitch at Petersfield Town, but goals by Alex Dockree and Zach Glasspool secured them a 2-1 victory.

With passing football almost impossible, Andover took the aerial route for the opening goal – Joe Chamberlain launching a high ball into a crowded area where Alex Dockree came in on the blind side to plant a header into the top corner.

Andover doubled that lead in bizarre fashion after the break when Mike Gosney aimed a deep delivery towards the back stick. As Glasspool went to meet it, he lost his footing and the ball cannoned off his belly and into the net.

The visitors’ debut-making goalkeeper Luke Cairney was largely untroubled, but he was finally beaten by a Luke Kendal penalty after Connor Cocklin had upended former Andover player Luke Walker in the box. Cairney guessed the right way but Kendall’s kick beat him for pace.

An emotional occasion at Love Lane began with Petersfield Town honouring their former player Darren Chant on Remembrance Day.

A bugler played The Last Post and wreathes were laid by both teams as a mark of respect to Chant, who was killed in action in Afghanistan eight years ago.

*Buoyed by their 3-0 midweek win over the league leaders, Alresford Town overwhelmed Bashley 5-0 to move fifth in the table.

Once again, new signing Ben ‘Chalky’ White was instrumental in the victory, scoring twice from range after Adam Pearson and Chris Mason had put the Magpies in the driving seat.

The former Fleet Town and Winchester City man has now scored four goals in three appearances for Town.

Aaron Blaxall, another ex-Fleet player, wrapped up victory five minutes from time.

Alresford face more New Forest opposition tomorrow evening (Tuesday), away to sixth-placed Lymington Town.

Lymo took a break from league action to beat Priory Rovers 2-1 in the Southampton Senior Cup – goals by Jake King and ex-Fawley, Totton and Thatcham marksman Dylan Knight taking them into the quarter-finals.

Hamworthy United slumped to a fourth straight Sydenhams Premier defeat, 3-2, at Cowes Sports.

Calum Chase, Connor Furmidge and John McKie scored for the Yachtsmen with Steve Smith and Nathan Walker replying.