AN “incredibly kind-hearted” Hampshire woman died from a drugs overdose after buying tablets on the internet, an inquest heard.

Jennifer Whitehead bought painkillers online and was discovered unconscious in bed by her partner.

The 33-year-old had a history of overdoses and self-harm associated with her borderline personality disorder and depression.

She was rushed to Royal Hampshire County Hospital in Winchester but died on January 9.

Her father David Whitehead told Winchester Coroner’s Court that his daughter, of Spitfire End, Winnall, had been struggling.

He said: “She felt down at Christmas. She spent quite a lot of her time in her nightclothes. There were times during her stay with us when the old Jen shone through and she was fun, joyous, but the overall impression we got was that it was not a good time for her.”

Psychiatrist Dr Katherine Williams said Ms Whitehead’s mental health problems were complicated by substance misuse, as Ms Whitehead was purchasing recreational and non-prescription drugs to act as “a safety net” with regulating her mood.

Pathologist Dr Adnan Al-Badri said toxicology results showed sedatives and antidepressants in Ms Whitehead’s system alongside Tramadol, and gave a cause of death as central nervous system depression.

Coroner Grahame Short recorded a drugs-related death.

In a statement her family said: “Jen was an extraordinary daughter, sister and friend to many who despite the challenges her illness brought her enriched the lives of so many around her. She was incredibly kind-hearted.”