A MAN who was due to get married took his own life after being confronted by online paedophile hunters, an inquest heard.

David Baker, 43, was arrested on October 4 after being confronted by Southampton-based online vigilante group TRAP in the Sainsbury's car park in Portswood.

As previously reported, the group lured Mr Baker, in the belief he was meeting a 14-year-old boy, to the underground car park and confronted him in a meeting which was videoed and posted on Facebook.

He was kept in custody overnight and released under investigation the following day after answering 'no comment' to police questions.

Winchester Coroner's Court heard that two days after Mr Baker, of Wykeham Fields, Wickham, was released on October 7, he was found dead on his bed surrounded by empty tablet packets and two notes.

The inquest heard he had barricaded his home and police had to force their way in after his family became increasingly concerned for his welfare.

Mr Baker's step-daughter Cherelle Stares, whom he lived with along with her daughter and his fiancee Kelly Davies, told the inquest that they had moved out to live with a relative as they feared for their safety after their address was posted online.

Pathologist Dr Adnan Al-Badri said that fatal levels of two prescription drugs were found in his system, both of which were prescribed to Ms Davies.

Recording a conclusion of suicide, senior Hampshire coroner Grahame Short said: "It is not for me to judge David's actions or indeed the actions of Southampton TRAP.

"However, in this case, the postings on social media contributed to David's stress and to him being isolated when he made the decision to end his life."

Mr Short added that he could not be sure precisely when Mr Baker died as he was last seen on October 5, but evidence suggested it was "likely during the night of October 6".

Following Mr Baker's death, his family criticised police for not taking action to prevent him from taking his own life, while Hampshire Police Federation chief John Apter said so-called paedophile hunters risked undermining the work of police.

Mr Baker's fiancee, whom he was a carer for alongside his work as a gardener, described him during the inquest as a "kind, loving man".