A MAN stabbed a former friend eight times during a dispute at a house party in Southampton.

Michael Scott grabbed a kitchen knife and seriously injured Charlie Roberts during a late night party in Studland Road.

After he was stabbed, Mr Roberts managed to escape, but collapsed outside the home to be found by the emergency services.

Southampton Crown Court heard that Scott, 21, had shouted “go on my son” as another of his friends had a dispute with Mr Roberts during the party.

Prosecutor James Kellam said: “Scott became aware of the argument and then began shouting at them and he grabbed a knife and stabbed the victim.”

The court was told that during the attack, Mr Roberts sustained wounds to his chest, thigh and buttocks and was later found to have a collapsed lung.

Officers found the knife in a garden a couple of houses away from the incident and later charged Scott, who was identified by Mr Roberts in an identity parade.

This offence breached a suspended sentence order given to Scott in 2016 for possessing heroin with intent to supply, for which he was given two years’ imprisonment suspended for two years.

Mr Kellam said Scott had a previous charge for possessing a knife in a public place in 2013, but Berenice Mulvanny, mitigating, said in that situation he had brought it for his own protection.

She said: “He accepts he should not have been in this position with a knife and caused the injuries to Mr Roberts.

“He is ashamed by his behaviour and is apologetic for what has happened.”

The court heard that prior to the incident on September 8, Scott had been a full-time carer for his terminally ill father who, since Scott had been in custody following the refusal of bail last year, had died.

Judge Christopher Parker QC said: “It is only a matter of chance that this man did not suffer more serious injuries and it is only a matter of chance that he did not suffer a fatal one. This is lucky for you because murders can be committed by a knife.”

Scott, of Selby Close, Southampton, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding.

He was sentenced to 42 months’ imprisonment.