WHAT should have been a night of celebrations turned to a nightmare after a "rowdy" man launched a "drunk, homophobic rant" at his new place of work - hours after being offered a job.

Danny Crook shouted and screamed at partygoers as he sunk drinks at Mango Thai Tapas Bar & Lounge, on Canute Road, as he celebrated being given a role at the establishment.

But after his new colleagues told him to go home, police were called to the nightclub to restrain the "vomiting" 26-year-old - who then turned on officers by kicking out at PC Bartosz Tluchowski.

The following morning when he was released from custody, Crook was forced to go back to the nightclub to pick up his coat - only to be told his employment offer had been withdrawn.

Natalie Angel, prosecuting, told Southampton Magistrates' Court when officers arrived on March 10, Crook was "kicking off" and being "rowdy" with people at the club.

She said: "Colleagues had originally tried to take him home because of how intoxicated he was. They believe it made him vulnerable.

"But in the end, officers were called because the defendant was causing distress in the way he was acting.

"He started shouting and screaming, calling everyone homophobic names. Officers grabbed him and restrained him but he was kicking the air and struck PC Tluchowski."

Miss Angel added that he was described as "drunk" by some onlookers at the club and had been vomiting.

The court heard Crook, of Sholing Road, Southampton, had previous convictions for common assault and actual bodily harm in 2015, given to him by a Spanish court.

Mitigating, Barry Keele said Crook "did not shirk responsibility for his actions" and knows he "acted badly".

He added that since the offer of employment had been withdrawn, Crook has got a new job.

Crook pleaded guilty to using threatening or abusive words and assaulting a constable in the execution of his duty.

He was fined £200 and ordered to pay £100 compensation. Costs of £85 and a £30 victim surcharge were also handed to the former Itchen College student.