A SOUTHAMPTON woman was found hanged after receiving a threatening message from her ex-boyfriend, an inquest heard.

Kellyann Smith received a threatening email and messages from a fake account on Facebook from her former partner.

Her body was found by police in woodland near Minstead Lodge in the New Forest after the alarm was raised when she had not turned up for work at Southampton General Hospital.

Winchester Coroners’ Court heard that in the summer of 2016 the 33-year-old had gone on holiday to Benidorm with friends including her boyfriend Brett Brown and his brother Jason Brown.

During this holiday there was an incident in which Kellyann alleged that she had been sexually assaulted, the inquest was told.

This put a considerable strain on their relationship, and ultimately led to its breakdown.

The inquest also heard that days before her death Brett Brown had sent the former Sholing Girls Secondary School pupil a threatening email and messages from a fake Facebook account.

Senior Hampshire Coroner Grahame Short said: “There was an incident during a holiday in Benidorm.

“It is not my place to make judgement on what happened.

“But it is clear that what happened after that incident had a major impact on Kellyann and her relationship, and this is what ultimately led to her death.

“I don’t believe that Brett Brown realised the effect his messages had on someone clearly in a fragile state of mind.

“It was clear that despite what had happened she still had feelings for him and it was part of her problems.”

Miss Smith was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in May 2017 and had been prescribed medication to help manage the condition.

A report by toxicologist Peter Streete revealed that she had not been taking her medication at the time of her death in December.

The day before, she had told her twin brother James Smith, with whom she lived in Lydgate Green, that she was going to stay with a friend.

The alarm was raised when James was called to say that Kellyanne had not turned up for work at Southampton General Hospital, where she worked as a biomedical scientist.

Mr Short added: “Due to her mental illness she was not thinking rationally and decided that the only solution was to take her life.”

He concluded that Ms Smith’s death was the result of suicide.