FIREFIGHTERS spend five hours tackling a blaze at a Winchester home on Wednesday morning.

The fire was in a detached house in Complin Place, a new development off Stoney Lane in Weeke.

It started at around 9.45am, and is believed to have originated in a solar panel.

Watch manager Kev Robson, of Winchester Fire Station, said: “There is a fire investigation but it looks like an electrical problem.

“When we got there the roof was well alight. The roof and the first floor was completely destroyed and there was water damage on the ground floor.

“The occupier was at home at the time and heard popping and a bang, looked out and saw smoke and got straight out. The smoke alarms did not sound because the fire was above them.

Mr Robson added that the while tackling the flames then ceiling collapsed.

He said: "I have a slight burn on my neck but I’m not hurt. The breathing apparatus crew was working upstairs as the ceiling collapsed."

The fire crews managed to salvage some of the householders’ possessions.

Crews attended from Winchester, two from Eastleigh, the aerial adder from St Marys and a British Red Cross support vehicle.

A reporter attempted to get to the scene, but was unable after neighbours demanded he left the area.