A RETIRED carpenter died as a result of exposure to asbestos.

Winchester Coroners’ Court heard David Marsh, 69, was exposed to the carcinogenic substance while working as an apprentice carpenter at Southampton Builders Ltd in 1964.

In October of 2016, Mr March was taken to Southampton General Hospital after suffering from breathing difficulties.

A biopsy later revealed that he had contracted cancer as a result of his exposure to asbestos.

Mr Marsh passed away in his Norton Close home on June 13.

Senior Coroner Grahame Short concluded that Mr Marsh had died as a result of industrial disease.