THE public are set to get a closer look at one of the oldest bridges in Hampshire.

Every day hundreds of people travel over Alresford Bridge without realising it is there.

The Alresford Bridge is a late 12th century stone single arched bridge, spanning the overflow channel from Old Alresford Pond.

Mrs Caroline Perry has kindly offered to open her garden at Broad Street in order to get a closer look at the bridge, on the same days as the Museum will be opened by the Town Trust so that the Public can get a view of this piece of history.

These dates are April 20 (Easter Saturday); May 6; July 13; August 26 and September 14-15 (Heritage Weekend).

Mrs Perry has been a volunteer at the Eel House and significant donor (with her late husband Nick) for the last 10 years, and has always been keen to let the public see its heritage.

The Town Trust is producing a detailed leaflet for its 2019 Open Day events including a French Market on Saturday April 20.

The structure is also known as the Soke Bridge and is listed Grade II*. The bridge and pond were created by Godfrey de Lucy, Bishop of Winchester (1189-1204), as part of a scheme to make the River Itchen navigable from its source at Bramdean through Winchester and Southampton.

Alresford Pond, which originally covered 200 acres (approximately 81ha), acted as a reservoir, in which the water of several local streams was collected to be channelled through the River Alre to the River Itchen.