AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a fire broke out on a train as it stopped in a Hampshire station.

Firefighters and police rushed to the scene at Brockenhurst Station at around 11am yesterday, after a fire broke out from underneath one of the carriages.

The train was a CrossCountry service from Bournemouth to Manchester.

South Western Railway said all services in the area were disrupted, as Network Rail switched off the power to lines in the area, but the lines reopened at around 1pm.

A spokesperson for CrossCountry confirmed the company would investigate the incident.

The spokesperson said: “On arrival at Brockenhurst station at 11:00 today, the train crew became aware of a smoke coming from underneath the rear carriage of our 10:45 service from Bournemouth to Manchester.

"The train crew and station staff immediately evacuated all the customers and the train’s extinguisher system and the speedy arrival of the emergency services quickly resolved the situation.

“There are no reports of any injuries, and arrangements are being made to help our customers continue their journeys.

"As soon as it is released by the emergency services the train will be taken to our depot where an investigation into the cause will take place.

“As there were several trains delayed by this incident, we are asking anyone whose journey has been affected to get in touch so that we can see if they are due compensation.”

Hampshire Fire Control tweeted: "Control have mobilised crews from Brockenhurst, Beaulieu, New Milton, Lymington, Burley and Eastleigh to a passenger train fire near Brockenhurst. There were no casualties, and the small fire was all extinguished."

British Transport Police also confirmed that they were at the incident.

One passenger said: "We all got told to get out of the train and when we were on the platform we saw billows of smoke coming out the back.

"They were pretty prompt and got us all off the train in good time and the smoke hadn't spread to the carriages, but they should have been able to react quicker afterwards, because it's a bit cold for us elderly people to be stood outside waiting."

Another said: "All I know is they asked for people to leave the train and I got confused because I thought it meant people getting off for the platform, and then they called again and said everyone.

"I think it's the kitchen because that's at the back and I saw smoke coming from the back."

Replacement coach services were in operation to take passengers to Southampton.