A YOUNG man with an untreated heart valve infection died of an overdose of heroin and cocaine.

An inquest heard that Darren Smith, 23, may not have died had he not had the infection and bronchial pneumonia.

His death means his mother, Tracey Smith, has lost two of her sons to drug overdoses, following that of Edward when aged 17 around 13 years ago, the hearing was told.

The inquest heard that Mr Smith met friends and went to a house in Ashby Road, Totton, on July 28.

They watched TV and Mr Smith smoked crack cocaine and cannabis and then fell asleep, the inquest heard. In the morning his friends saw he was not breathing and battled to revive him. Paramedics attended but Mr Smith could not be saved.

In a statement, Tracey Smith said: “My son was a troubled young man who had been in trouble with schools and the police. He had also recently been in prison but despite all that he was a loving and popular son. He was close to his family and to the lives of his friends.

“When he was 10 his older brother Edward died of a drug overdose at only 17. It had a big effect on Darren. He started on cannabis at 16 and harder drugs at 18.”

Mr Smith, of Cunningham Gardens, Bursledon, had recently left prison after serving time for several burglaries.

Mr Short recorded a verdict of a drug-related death, and said: “I cannot begin to imagine the effect of Darren’s death on you all.”